pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Pickled Mackerel or Bonito Mike Nosanov [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:17 pm
Ken Jones

Pickled Mackerel or Bonito

The following two recipes were sent to me by Mike Nosanov of Oceanside who reported that he had tried both and was quite pleased. Since then I have tested both recipes, find them delicious, and recommend either one. By the way, these will also work with salmon, sablefish and other high-fat content types of fish.

Recipe #1

salt, as needed
2 pounds of bonito or mackerel fillets; fillets should have the skin attached but be deboned and the dark strip of meat which runs along the back should be removed
1 cup rice vinegar
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 sliced onion
1 bay leaf
dill

Prepare the bonito or mackerel fillets and then freeze for three days. Thaw out the meat and then salt it generously for 4 hours. Rinse well. Prepare the marinade of vinegar, sugar, onion, bay leaf and dill. Marinate for three hours. Remove the skin from the back of the fillet and discard the skin. Keep refrigerated in a glass jar. Eat with or without sour cream.

Recipe #2

2 large bonito or 6 large mackerel; fillets should have the skin attached but be deboned and the dark strip of meat which runs along the back should be removed. Cut into bite size pieces
4 large onions, sliced
2 lemons, sliced
2 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons mustard seeds
6 to 12 bay leaves
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups vinegar per cup of water
grated apple

Prepare the bonito or mackerel. Soak the fish in water overnight. Place in a crock or glass jar, layering in the onion slices, lemon slices, pepper, mustard seed and bay leaves. Boil a mixture of sugar and vinegar then set aside to cool. Pour over the fish to cover. Add grated apple (optional). Cover the jar, keep in a cool place and let stand 4 to 6 days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:47 pm
riorust

I've eaten Bonito, but never had enough guts to try Mackerel. These recipes are just weird enough sounding to make me want to try Mackerel again. Do you cook the fish with heat, or let the vinegar do it? Does it come out like that pickled herring in the stores? Love that stuff!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:53 pm
gordo grande

Sounds pretty cool. Have you ever tried it Skipper?

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:59 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

I have bought makerel in the can on several occasions from the Asian markets and also Stater Bros. The cat I and split the can and we both enjoyed it. Tastes just like sardines without the mustard or ketchup sauce.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:02 pm
Ken Jones

You don't cook the meat, you pickle it. The bonito is better than the mackerel but you should still like it if you like pickled fish.
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: