pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Crab and Pork Meat Balls — [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:14 pm
Ken Jones

I'm not exactly sure where I got this recipe but I've used it for the last twenty years or so and make it almost every Thanksgiving or New Year's Day to snack on during the football games. Everyone seems to love the recipe.

Crab and Pork Meat Balls

12 dried Chinese mushrooms (or small can chopped mushrooms)
1 pound lean ground pork
1 cup (8 ounces) water chestnuts, minced
½ cup (8-ounce can) crabmeat
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons minced onion
2 gloves garlic, peeled and crushed
¼ cup mushroom water
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Cornstarch
2 eggs
1 tablespoon water
3 cups oil
Sweet-and-Sour Sauce

1. Cover dried mushrooms with boiling water and soak 20 minutes—or open can of chopped mushrooms.
2. Measure pork into a large mixing bowl. Add drained, rinsed, minced water chestnuts, and drained, shredded crabmeat. Drain mushrooms, reserving water, mince mushrooms and add to pork. Toss ingredients with salt, sugar, pepper, onion, garlic, ¼ cup mushroom water, and soy sauce. Roll into walnut-sized balls between your palms. Half fill a small bowl with cornstarch, and roll each ball around in the bowl until well coated. Freeze a portion for another time (if so desired), and refrigerate balance until serving time.
3. Place thawed or fresh Meat Balls by the stove, with the eggs mixed with the water. Set wok over high heat 30 seconds, add oil, heat to 350 degrees or until a bit of bread sizzles when dropped into it. Dip balls in egg and water mixture, and fry 8 to 10 at a time, about 3 minutes. Serve hot with Sweet-and-Sour Sauce.

Variations: (1) Substitute a small can of chopped mushrooms w/its water if the dried mushrooms aren't available—and it's easier. (2) You can cut down the amount of pork if you want more of the crab flavor but I've normally used the 2-1 measurement. (3) Crab in the can can vary but the one at Trader Joe's is very good. (4) You can freeze these for quite some time and then simply thaw before cooking.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: