pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Fish With Tomato Sauce (Sweet and Sour) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:30 am
Ken Jones

Fish With Tomato Sauce

Although at first glance a person might think this is the name of an Italian recipe, it isn't. Instead, this is a sweet-and-sour Chinese dish that is delicious and very easy to make. I got this recipe from a long forgotten Chinese cooking book and used it when I made Chinese dinners at my restaurant The Horn of Zeese in Boonville. It has a couple of minor revisions from the original recipe.

1 pound of any mild flavored fish (but especially good with pieces of halibut, lingcod, rock fish, bass and large croaker)
1/2 cup of diced onion
1/3 cup of diced black mushroom (or market mushrooms)
2 tablespoons green peas
1 egg white (to marinate the fish)
1 tablespoon cornstarch.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cornstarch. (You can also use a commercial fish batter or even pancake mix, although you need to watch pancake mix when using it to deep-fry fish because it will sometimes darken before the fish is done. Here, with the thin sliced fish, pancake mix will work.)
6 cups oil, for deep frying
Seasoning Sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vinegar
6 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon wine
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Remove all the bones from the fish and cut the flesh into pieces about 1 1/2 inches square by 1/4 inch thick. Marinate with the egg white, cornstarch, and salt for about 1/2 hour. Prepare the seasoning sauce in a bowl and set aside. Heat the oil to 375 degrees. Coat each piece of sliced fish in cornstarch (1/2 cup) or commercial batter. Drop the fish into the heated oil and fry each piece for about 1/2 minute or until golden brown. Remove the fish and drain off the oil. (If someone in the family absolutely refuses to eat Chinese food give them a few pieces of this deep-fried fish without the sauce). Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan or wok. Fry the onion, mushrooms and seasoning sauce. Stir briskly until thickened. Add the green peas and the fried fish, turn off the fire, and stir until blended. This dish is excellent when served with rice or noodles.

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: