pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
>> Can you help a noob? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:01 pm
TheCraftsman

Hey guys, im a recent saltwater convert. Been fishing for large mouth and trout my whole life. Located in ventura ca. Ive started off fishing salt by chunkin off the jetties and docks nearby. Ive done pretty well free lining frozen chovies with a modified stinger rig, and cut squid with a Carolina rig. I'm targeting Hali and bass, and enjoy catching sharks as well. I like catching any fish as long as its a decent size and gives a good fight, but definately the tasty ones like Hali and bass are priority número uno. Any advice on how to take the next step? Should I start experimenting with plastics and plugs? Should I alter the way im chunkin, ie: different rigging or bait? Any tips would be great. My current goal is to fish in a way that I'm not wasting as much time with little fish. In my area at this time small white croakers (8-10") seem to be in abundance and a constant bother. Thanks in advance!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:23 pm
jeremywang97

if i were you id halve some croakers for bait haha
but overall im not that great so there should be better advice along the way Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:34 pm
TheCraftsman

Definitely worth a shot, I'll give it a go next time out, probably Tuesday or
Wednesday. Trying to keep up my 3 days a week ive had going the last month:)
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:23 pm
mav

I'll use what ever abundant legal fish for bait that fits in a halibuts mouth.. Definitely start using plastics for rocky areas... Grub tails and swim baits work well. Must have colors are white and motor oil... The rest match to whatever bait/feed fish are in the area.. Spoons work for open sandy areas. I know hard baits work for halibut, or what ever is feeding on top, if there are a lot of surface bait fish but it's a pain in the wallet getting stuck and losing those things.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 pm
TheCraftsman

Thanks for the advice Mav. I was out there casting a bit yesterday. Throwing a Kroc, ratt-l-trap, and a swimbait. Trying to get the feel for em. Didnt get a Hali, but the jack smelt loved that rat-l-trap.... Anyways ima keep testing and messing around and trying out the new stuff i hear about. I appreciate the advice a lot. Cool that there's a place like this where people are willin to share their hard earned information.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:31 pm
mav

Forgot to mention, you can dropshot plastics also... I prefer keeping it simple with using jigheads but theres always a time and place for a different technique... I feel that grub tails are more versatile than swim baits because you can fish it slow on the bottom and the tail still moves. When fishing a spoon you want to mimic a dying bait fish rising off the bottom and falling.

Bucktails and featherd jigheads work also but they usually cost more than plastics and when fishing rocks, I'd rather lose the cheaper item...

I usually fish as light as possible depending on conditions and target species...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: