pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Central Coast rocks and reefs, 2/10/18 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:53 am
frozendog

Yes itís late again, but I was just sitting here watching the drizzle, waiting for the rain, so I decided a little fishing report might cheer me up.

High tide was at 5:30AM and low tide was at 1PM.

The first place I started fishing was at a shallow water spot that sometimes produces at high tide. This spot did produce - a nice black and yellow and a grass rockfish. Not huge, just fish taco size. Both fish were caught casting out far and bit on fresh smelt that I had caught a couple of days before. I tried frozen squid earlier and got no bites.

Since it was getting closer to low tide, I moved on to spot number two which was a deeper spot. Also, it was more difficult to get to but since I hadnít fished there for awhile, I thought there might be some decent fish in the area. I fished the last of the outgoing tide and had no bites. But, once the tide starting coming in, the fish started biting. The first fish was a black and yellow that was too small to keep. But it was a fish! Any fish gives you a little encouragement to keep on fishing. It was a beautiful clear, calm day so I might as well stay and fish some more. I was rewarded with a decent black and yellow and a 14Ē grassie (which was the best fish of the day).

Had plenty of fish for two meals, so I called it a day.
Ooops, left my camera at home, so only picture I have is the ice chest taken when I got home.

Black and yellows usually mean fish tacos. They are just the right size for a single filet in each shell. We like it better than chunks.

And Mrs. Kittyfish requested some fishcakes.

Well, I do feel a little cheered up sitting here in the drizzle, unable to get out fishing. I can think about a past trip and plan for the next one. And an old fish report is better than nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm
Salty Nick v2

Nice fishes & dishes.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm
sea++

Beautiful rockfish there, frozen!

I noticed in all your photos of the fish you have in the cooler that their throats are cut open in a similar way. Is that how you bleed them? Or do you bleed them by cutting the gills first and then open them up like that?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:22 pm
frozendog

Salty Nick v2 wrote:
Nice fishes & dishes.

Salty.

Thanks, Salty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:27 pm
frozendog

sea++ wrote:

I noticed in all your photos of the fish you have in the cooler that their throats are cut open in a similar way. Is that how you bleed them? Or do you bleed them by cutting the gills first and then open them up like that?

I just make a clean cut on the throat to bleed them. Gruesome but effective. It helps to dispatch the fish quicker so there is less chance of losing the fish if it jumps out of your bucket or hands. It makes it easier for me to clean the fish with that cut. But you will have to try that for yourself to see if it makes your fish easier to handle when you are cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:27 pm
seabass_seeker

FD a lot of people knock on gophers who are essentially black and yellows with a different fashion sense but I've found nothing but small crabs in the stomachs of all the bny's we've pulled up this year. My rule of thumb is that if it eats crustaceans, it's gotta be tasty (maybe not otters but we'll never know). I have to say, those portly bny's have saved many many of our trips to the coast. I hope this message finds you out on the seaweed covered rocks.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: