pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Advise on pitching plastics from the rocks into kelpy water [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm
sea++

While exploring various spots around the Santa Cruz as well as San Mateo coast, I often find discarded or super beat-up plastics like brush hogs or some kind of grub/worm like a large white Kalin grub. Now throwing swimbaits I understand--even if I'm terrible at it still-- but how about these other plastics I'm finding? Those of you that fish rocky, and especially kelpy, areas with plastics like these: would you just rig a drop-shot and let it sit? Bounce it off the bottom on a slow retrieve?

Apologies if these questions seem super elementary. I've a tough enough time getting my hi/lo out of the kelp and I figure I'd just be losing plastic after plastic if I were drop-shotting it, but I keep finding these things all over the place so I guess people are having success with them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:48 pm
k1n

Besides drop shot, I suggest a Texas rig or even a Carolina rig. Had good success with the twitch, lift and drop technique. Need to run braid/peg the weight to minimize snags...but as you know, you have good days and bad days.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 pm
therealhobos

brush hog/ freshwater football jigs type lures or anything with the weed guard I usually bounce bottom as much as possible all the way back.

Grubs, I usually do a super slow retrieve near bottom. Sometimes I jig it back higher in the water column to check for suspended rockfish. If you get lucky, you can run into a school of suspending black/blues and get a flurry of bites.

In very snaggy conditions, my favorite is still a weedless dropshot fluke. It lets you really feel the bottom structure and work your bait around it without getting snagged as much.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:46 am
seabass_seeker

I've just about stopped using bait unless I'm poke poling. I've found that large rockfish will readily take plastics many times over the piece of squid or anchovy that's dangling nearby. My go-to is a texas rig with a pegged bullet sinker down to a weedless rigged tube jig. I run 40-65lb braid as mainline and do nothing but hop the lure off the rocks. I like colors that imitate octopi, reds, oranges and blacks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:13 am
sea++

Thanks for the replies! I'll definitely be giving some of these a go next weekend along the Santa Cruz coast.

In heavy cover/lots of kelp, how heavy do you go with your weights? Those bullet weights 1/2oz and above can get pretty pricey. Would a regular egg sinker work here or are the flipping/worm weights really that important?

Also do any of you apply any scent (oil, spray, etc..) to your plastics?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:29 am
packyourtrash

If you use the search function, you will find a very detailed write up in the tutorials section.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:00 pm
sea++

packyourtrash wrote:
If you use the search function, you will find a very detailed write up in the tutorials section.

Clayman's legendary post is a must-read, I agree. That thread has been locked for years now however, so I thought I'd ask a few of the regulars around here for some advice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am
jcool

Check out Central Coast Bass videos on You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/user/kawabunga66/videos?disable_polymer=1
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:12 am
sea++

jcool wrote:
Check out Central Coast Bass videos on You Tube
https://www.youtube.com/user/kawabunga66/videos?disable_polymer=1

Good idea! Yeah I've watched a number of CCB's videos as well as other videos of people targeting calicos in heavy kelp and it has been a good education.

Nothing like getting out there on the water and just doing it though! So it looks like Sunday will bring ideal conditions for throwing some artificials.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:05 pm
seabass_seeker

I've gone to bullet weights completely and ditched the egg sinkers. They're pricier but they last longer. I've had times where I used the same sinker all year.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:15 pm
sea++

seabass_seeker wrote:
I've gone to bullet weights completely and ditched the egg sinkers. They're pricier but they last longer. I've had times where I used the same sinker all year.

😲That's pretty incredible. If a sinker of mine lasts more than 4 outings to the rocks then I assume it's blessed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm
seabass_seeker

You probably get out there a lot more often thab I do haha. But yes I've gotten bullet weights so beat up you can hardly get a line through the hole. Egg sinkers tend to get stuck a lot.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: