pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Breaded Monkeyface Eel (Prickleback) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:08 pm
sea++

This is a very basic recipe for MFPB that works just as well for other types of firm-fleshed fish and can even help give a bit of crunch to fish whose meat tend to be a bit softer. This recipe has been used on MFPB fillets from skinnier 18" ones to much longer and thicker fish. Seasoning and herbs can also experimented with.

Ingredients:

2 skinless MFPB fillets, cut to desired length for serving.
Olive Oil; enough to coat the bottom of the pan at least.

For the breading:

1 Egg
Flour
Cornmeal
1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs e.g. Italian Parsley, Thyme, etc..
Salt
Pepper
Red Chili Flakes

These fillets were from the skinnier 18" MFPB

STEP 1:

In a bowl, mix equally 1:1 all-purpose flour and cornmeal. If your fillets are small, use less. If they are larger, use more.

Add in chopped herbs and seasonings to the bowl. Alternative seasonings I've used have been Old Bay, Trader Joe's "Everything Seasoning", and Cavenders All-Purpose Seasoning.

Lay out mixture evenly on two separate plates.

STEP 2:

Beat the egg in a bowl separate from the breading mixture and leave in bowl or pour onto a third plate.

STEP 3:

Heat the olive oil in the frying pan on med-high heat until it starts to smoke. I typically use a cast iron but have cooked it well in all types of frypans.

STEP 4:

Place MFPB fillets in first breading plate and coat both sides with mixture.

STEP 5:

Give coated fillets a quick dip in the egg bath and move to second breading plate, coating both sides again.

STEP 6:

Place breaded fillet in the frying pan and cook both sides until breading has crisped up and fish is throughly cooked. About 3-5 minutes on both sides.

Enjoy with a salad, rice, or roasted veggies!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:35 am
songslinger

Nicely done. That's exactly what the fillets should look like. Never understood why people have a hard time getting them. (My method is to grab the mfe head with a damp rag and cut from gills to tail. Always get perfect "belts" from each side.)

I'll add that mfe can be used for tasty fish sandwiches. Topped with jack or cheddar. Don't forget the big slice of Bermuda onion. Nothing like munching on a monkeyface sandwich (and cackling like a movie villain) while I'm poke poling for more!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 pm
sea++

songslinger wrote:

I'll add that mfe can be used for tasty fish sandwiches. Topped with jack or cheddar. Don't forget the big slice of Bermuda onion. Nothing like munching on a monkeyface sandwich (and cackling like a movie villain) while I'm poke poling for more!

Yum! That sandwich sounds like another great way to enjoy the catch. With as much dungeness and fish that I eat there definitely are a lack of po' boys-- or any other type of fish sandwiches-- in my life. Don't readily see Bermudas at any store that I go to but maybe I'll get lucky and someone will be selling them at the Farmer's Market or they'll pop up as an option in my CSA. I'll be keeping an eye out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 pm
frozendog

MF eels also make good tacos because of their shape. I also like italian bread crumbs with parmesan cheese as a coating. I think it takes a little bit longer to cook the eel pieces than it does for fish. Your dinner looks yummy! You went through the whole cycle: catch, cook and enjoy.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:22 pm
bosslzkib

Amazing!!!!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: