pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Article on White Seabass program [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:04 pm
Fishmom1

Interesting article on fishery management and the white seabass program in California.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/15/585500501/-40-million-later-a-pioneering-plan-to-boost-wild-fish-stocks-shows-little-succe?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=thesalt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm
Mahigeer

Having helped out at the Redondo Beach location, I can tell you, it does not look like $40M has been spent.

It is run by all volunteer staff who pay out of their pocket for the repairs.

They have raised a lot of bass and relesed many pf them. It will be sad if they close it.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm
Mahigeer

1-Some of the volunteers there to help with the release.

2-Note the poor condition of the encloser, etc.

3-Volunteers are loading up the transfer tank to take the fish for release in the marina.

4-The end result of months of work by dedicated volunteers.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:27 pm
Ken Jones

I had heard a year or so ago about the disappointing returns on this program from another gentleman that had worked on the program.

It reminded me of when I was on the Bay-Delta Stamp Committee and we tried to get some of the funds spent on a halibut rearing program for the Bay Area. We saw it happening in Alameda (which has the highest water temps in the bay) and felt we had pretty good data that it would work. The Department of Fish and Game refused to consider the idea. They said halibut aren't native to the Bay Area and thus the program wouldn't succeed. I still think they were wrong but in actuality we were only an ADVISORY committee on how to spend the millions of dollars collected via the stamps. Unless top management agreed our ideas weren't worth squat.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: