Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Central Coast Rocks and Bull Kelp 1/24/18 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:58 pm
frozendog

High tide was at 3:30 AM at 4.8ft
Low tide was at 10:00 AM at 1.7ft

I started fishing at sunrise, about half-tide. I haven’t been fishing for awhile because the water has been just too rough. Too rough means not safe! Finally, there was a day with half-decent water, 6-8ft in the morning and 5-7ft in the afternoon. I usually try to avoid surf even this big, but when you’re getting desperate, it was worth a try.

The first spot I fished, you can only catch fish at low tide. Ask the fish, not me, why they are there only at low tide. When the tide comes it, you can’t get out far enough to get to the fish. I fished there until low tide and only had one bite. But it was a nice 18” cab caught on a frozen smelt chunk.

I hooked lots of things - kelp, rocks, seaweed - but only one fish.

So off to spot #2. This is usually a high tide spot, but it was low tide, but the spot is a little more protected from the waves. This is a long rocky beach where you can cast and move, cast and move, but when it is covered with bull kelp, it is a little more difficult.

There were a couple of spots where the kelp was up to my knees. I felt like a totem pole, trying not to slip and slide on the dead kelp. But along this stretch, I was able to catch two rockfish. The first was a 13 1/2” grass rockfish caught on fresh smelt.

The final bite of the day was a handsome 15” grass rockfish.

You’re not going to catch your dinner staying home waiting for ideal conditions. Sometimes you have to get out there and rough it. And Mrs. Kittyfish can manage a day without me.

The cab became Mexican fish and (no) chips. Fisherman comfort food. I would like to say that this was my cooking, but the professional prepared it at our local Mexican restaurant.

Roughin’ it on the Central Coast in January.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:23 pm
sea++

Great catches and report per usual, sir!

With the second spot you fished, did you find yourself casting into the same spots you would have if the tide were up, or did the lower water level let you scout out some holes you hadn’t seen or considered before?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:50 pm
Salty Nick v2

Nice catches in tough conditions! That's a lot of heavy kelp to deal with, and that's no bull.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:07 pm
giantbrookie

Yes, those are conditions that would have kept me home. Great fish in spite of that. I caught a smidge (2 hrs) of fishing on the southern Sonoma Coast yesterday in a much more sheltered spot and whereas I had plenty of action, the fish I caught weren't in your league.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: