pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Swell forecast information out of Slide Ranch (Marin County) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:00 pm
sea++

I was wondering if those of you that have fished around Slide Ranch in the past have experienced larger than normal swells for that stretch of the Marin coastline? I look at the forecast for that stretch (Stinson, Steep Ravine, Slide Ranch, Rodeo Beach) pretty often and while the areas flanking Slide like Stinson and Rodeo have similar swell forecasts, Slide Ranch seems to always report conditions an order of magnitude rougher. Does that track with what some of you have experienced or are these forecasting services like Willyweather pulling data from someplace else entirely?

e.g. Saturday's forecast for all the areas on either side of SR put the swell within the 4.5-5ft range. Slide Ranch though? 7-8ft.

I guess I'll find out for myself here soon enough, but it always just seemed strange to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 am
ryanrs

Caution: speculation inbound. I don't have any actual experience with swell predictions or reading marine charts.

Here's a big chart of the area.

Stinson Beach is protected from W swells by Duxbury Pt and reef. Rodeo Beach is sheltered by Fourfathom Bank.

Between those two shallow areas, there is a channel of deeper water that comes right up to Rocky Point, Slide Ranch, and Muir Beach. And these three locations show the highest swells in the area. So there's reason to believe those higher swell forecasts are accurate.

More detailed chart for west of Duxbury Pt.
More detailed chart for east of Duxbury Pt. (for some reason this chart is in FEET, the other two are in fathoms)
Main NOAA site to get charts.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:13 pm
sea++

Thanks for this!

I finally got around to spending some time looking over some of these maps and they really opened up my eyes as to the depth of water around some of the places I've been fishing. I also zeroed in on some other areas I hadn't considered exploring which now look to have deeper water closer to shore.

The map with feet notation in particular is super helpful and I think this is an invaluable resource for any of us looking to cast out from the rocks!

ryanrs wrote:
Caution: speculation inbound. I don't have any actual experience with swell predictions or reading marine charts.

Here's a big chart of the area.

Stinson Beach is protected from W swells by Duxbury Pt and reef. Rodeo Beach is sheltered by Fourfathom Bank.

Between those two shallow areas, there is a channel of deeper water that comes right up to Rocky Point, Slide Ranch, and Muir Beach. And these three locations show the highest swells in the area. So there's reason to believe those higher swell forecasts are accurate.

More detailed chart for west of Duxbury Pt.
More detailed chart for east of Duxbury Pt. (for some reason this chart is in FEET, the other two are in fathoms)
Main NOAA site to get charts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:11 pm
sea++

sea++ wrote:

The map with feet notation in particular is super helpful and I think this is an invaluable resource for any of us looking to cast out from the rocks!

Dumb old me didn't notice the fathom->feet conversion table at the bottom of the other maps before I posted this Sad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:08 am
ryanrs

6. The fathom to feet conversion is 6, ha ha.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: