pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> bringing in the new year!! San Simeon perchin. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:58 pm
Troutdog

Hey folks. I'm still around, but I only got my feet on the sand 3 times in 2017 and the results were pretty meager to say the least. Decided to get an early start on it in 2018 and got out on 1/1.

The full moon had some big tide swings going on that I figure would at least expose the type of structure that was present, and the old Solunar Table said it would be a very good fishing day. Might as well travel across the Valley floor and check out the Central Cali coast just north of Cambria. I arrived at ~ 10:30 to find a beautiful beach about 2 hours after a 6.8 high tide. This pic doesn't do the day justice, but a long trough was forming as the tide sucked out towards its 1.7 minus low tide at 4:00 pm.

https://imgur.com/H8e4bC8

I started with C-Rig with a two hook snelled rig baited with pieces of shrimp and camo sandworms. Fishing the trough not 20 feet from the foam I started getting hits right away and soon landed a pretty nice Walleye at ~ 7 inches. I got another super dink Walleye before this smallish BSP showed up.

https://imgur.com/Eyu1Qpt

and shortly thereafter I got this nice Calico surf perch (CSP).

https://imgur.com/EqrmrGO

The bite from that point on was just plain silly. They weren't big, but they just never let up, a first for the old trout hugger. As the tide dropped the fish just collected in the trough and just kept hitting. My hit to miss was .... poor with me getting one fish for every 7 or 8 hits at the best, but I wasn't complaining. I worked my way down to the rip and never left catching about 5 Walleyes for every BSP and CSP. I finally rain out of shrimp and GSWs after about 3 hours and I'm guessing I landed about 40 fish. A guy about 50 feet up the trough was having the same action on the red GSW's.

It was now after 1:00 and I was hungry, so I retreated to the Hofbrau in Morro for some chowder, a fish sandwich, and a cold one before figuring out where to go next. I'll admit that I'm a creature of habit and when something works, don't fix it. Yep, went back to the same beach to check it out again just as the low was bottoming out.

https://imgur.com/hRRSXYZ

The trough I was fishing earlier is now the little draw those folks are walking in. What's left of the RIP channel is at the far left and that's where I fished during the last hour of light using bits of shrimp and GSWs in the red or bloody color. The bite was pretty much the same, but comprised entirely of dinks without the CSP's. Regardless, it was a banner day for the old trout hugger and was truly my best numbers day from the sand. One thing I liked was the water was clear in the afternoon and I could actually stand at the edge of the trough and watch the perch flitter to and fro chasing bits of food. Simply awesome.

Well that's it and I apologize for the pics. They are from my phone and as I age it seems I can barely see the images I'm taking pictures of. Thanks for reading and here's to a banner 2018!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:04 pm
charro

Epic perching, even without big ones.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:19 am
Ken Jones

Sounds like a good time to head over to the coast.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:54 am
giantbrookie

Sweet! As a fellow "trout hugger" I fully appreciate the excitement of a day in the surf like this, although I haven't experienced that rate of return. Pretty neat to actually be able to see the fish in the water, too. This is a great way to satisfy the fishing itch while the waters of the High Sierra are under snow and ice.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: