pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Freakish record opaleye [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 am
Ken Jones

Taken from my revision on the Aliso Pier

One of the rocky shore species that could be found at the pier was opaleye and some were pretty decent-sized fish. However, none of the pier-caught opaleye came close to matching the huge opaleye taken by a skin-diver in eight feet of water at Aliso in 1964. The monster-sized fish, one that was more than double the size of the previous state record fish, weighed in at 13.46 pounds and was 25.4 inches long. Given that a five-pound opaleye is considered huge, and that most fishery biologists at the time felt opaleye only reached about six pounds in size, it may be a freakish record that stands a long, long time.

The California rod and reel record remains a fish weighing 6 lbs 4 oz taken near Flores Creek in Malibu in 1956.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:52 pm
EgoNonBaptizo

I've seen some at Catalina that could reach/beat that size. They come out whenever there is a tuna crab run.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:34 am
Ken Jones

EgoNonBaptizo wrote:
I've seen some at Catalina that could reach/beat that size. They come out whenever there is a tuna crab run.

Beat the 6-pound or 13-pound size? I have seen some fairly big fish there but I don't think we've ever weighed any of the fish. Most opaleye that are caught are probably 1-3 pounds in size.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:02 am
makairaa

I have seen opaleye at catalina that would beat the 6 lb record. Never seen one that I thought would beat the 13 lb record. Thats an absolute beast.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: