pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Balboa pier, eve of New Year's Eve [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:10 am
k1n

Went out to the pier to burn some time and see if there are any crustaceans around. Dropped one hoop net in at about 6pm, called it quits at 9. Moved around the place a few times between Ruby's and the fish cleaning station using chicken thighs as bait. Got a lot of swimmer crabs and one sheep crab. Saw some mackerel being pulled up around Ruby's and a lot of thorn backs near the fish cleaning station. Seals patrolled for macs but didn't seem to bother my net. Nice evening out.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 am
Ken Jones

Balboa really has never been noted as a great pier for lobsters. San Clemente is probably your closest pier for good lobster action.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:04 pm
k1n

Thanks for the tip, but I was hoping for some yellow crab/red/rock crab. Might go to santa monica later this week for another go.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:09 pm
Mahigeer

SM is a good place for crabs.

Skipper has a goo story about crab fishing there!!

Maybe he can post it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:09 am
Ken Jones

I'm not sure which story you are referencing. Here's the one on California crabs which does have some pictures of crabs from the Santa Monica Pier —

http://kenjonesfishing.com/2012/01/california-crabs-%e2%80%94/
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 pm
Mahigeer

That is one hell of collection of pictures.

If there are any from Photobucket, they seem to be ok.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The story has to do with an occasion that an abounded of crabs were being caught and sold by kids. Later it was discovered that there was ……………………. I don’t want give up the ending if can remember.
If does not ring a bell, I will post it as I recall later.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:19 pm
k1n

Yea, I've been to sm multiple times over the years. I know there's a good crab population there.

Skipper: you should also include a short paragraph of the swimmer crabs!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 am
Ken Jones

Hashed,

I think this is the story you wanted —

Santa Monica Pier — Neil E. Dixon

Why were there so many crabs under the Santa Monica Pier?

In the early 1960s my family moved close enough to the Santa Monica Pier that I could walk the two miles to the pier in about half an hour. I spent many summer days fishing and trying to hustle enough money to pay for a ticket on the ½ day boat Kiaora with Capt. Curt or a full day trip on the Indiana with Capt. Bill Pelton.
One summer day in the 1960’s, on the lower deck of the Santa Monica Pier, people were catching more rock crabs than usual. Several of us “pier rats” got our hoop nets over the side and started to bring up lots of rock crabs.
We started selling our crabs to pier visitors for 25 cents each. We had to dig in trashcans for bags and boxes so that the tourists could carry their crabs’ home for the traditional crab boil. The abundance of the crabs on the lower deck of the pier went on for days and many of us “pier rats” amassed over $20 each selling the rock crabs.
At the end of the week income came to an abrupt end early one evening when someone with a grappling hook and a strong rope hauled up what had sent the hundreds of rock crabs to feast under the pier.
The heavy tug of the grappling hook on the rope revealed a horrible sight. On the surface of the water, suspended by the grappling hook, was a pale-faced man with long red hair and a large spider tattoo on his hairy chest. His chest was criss-crossed by a length of chain and two cinder blocks were attached on each side of his body.
The crab feast ended when the Santa Monica Police and the Los Angeles Coroner sent this man to his final last resting place—which was not under the Santa Monica Pier.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:21 pm
Troutdog

I have limited pier fishing experience in CA, but have fished both SM and Malibu piers back in the day with some success. I've caught some nice halibut from Malibu, but that as in the 80's.

Now Ken, that is one crazy crabbing story if I don't say so myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:06 pm
Ken Jones

There was actually also a second story concerning crabs at Santa Monica which is included in PFIC, 2nd Ed. (I Think).

New friends, conversation and interesting stories are bonuses when I visit California's piers. One such story was provided by an angler sharing the rail at the Elephant Rock Pier in Tiburon, up in San Francisco Bay.

He had grown up in Santa Monica and related how, as a teenager, he would go out at night to the Santa Monica Pier to go fishing. According to him, there were a number of Chinese fishermen who made a regular habit of snagging crabs with large treble hooks.

Not much of a story there except that they evidently kept a fire going under a large pot filled with seawater. As they caught a crab it went into the pot and an ongoing communal sort of crab feast was the result. He said he would sneak a bottle of wine from his parent's larder and he and the Chinamen (his words) would fish and feast (a.k.a. party) most of the night.

This was supposed to have occurred back in the ‘60s. Today you would probably need to bring some crusty sourdough bread, the proper cheese, and a good Cabernet if you wanted to do it right (although a proletarian Zinfandel seems more appropriate for a pier)!

Last edited by Ken Jones on Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:10 pm
Mahigeer

Yes that is the story.

Who is Hashed?
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:55 am
Ken Jones

Hashed = a slight imperfection.