pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Species #1080: Japanese Zombie Seabass [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:14 pm
calaznfisher

There are some fish that are beautiful, colorful and ornate. As most people, I love seeing these delicate fish at the end of my line whether it is a gaudy trout or showy butterflyfish. However, this monstrous looking Oilfish has been a fish that I had dreamed of seeing at the end of my line for years. I was finally able to achieve that goal last week, jigging a half pound glowing jig into 750 ft of a dark ominous submarine canyon off the coast of Tokyo.

This beast of the deep sported razor sharp teeth and huge eyes that glowed gold in the lights of the fishing boat. The Japanese name, baramutsu, refers to the thorns on a rose due to the fact every single scale on this beastly fish possesses a razor sharp spike. Although many people would not describe this fish as “pretty,” I think it is an absolutely incredible specimen, and a perfect addition as species #1080 to my species lifelist.

Visit my blog to see the rest of the species that I’ve traveled the world to catch: https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:54 am
mav

Is that thing edible?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:58 am
EgoNonBaptizo

mav wrote:
Is that thing edible?

Oilfish, escolar, and other snake mackerel are very palatable, having a unique oily/buttery texture and taste. This is attributed to the accumulation of wax esters found in their diet which they are unable to properly process. These same wax esters cause gastrointestinal distress in humans in sufficiently large amounts. Portions larger than 6 ounces will lead to keriorrhea (greasy diarrhoea) and uh... anal leakage of orange wax droplets for the next day or so.
In short, yes, but don't eat a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:58 am
makairaa

It is one of several species sold as white tuna at sushi bars. Unique texture to it, but definitely do not eat much. Way cool catch. Definitely on my target list to add to my life list.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 am
seabass_seeker

I will add that although you're not supposed to eat much of it, it is quite tasty. Escolar is really a treat that I enjoy whenever I'm visiting a big city. I've seen it sold as albacore, white tuna, and ono (true ono is wahoo).
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:35 pm
mav

Thanks! Was wondering because the name oilfish doesnt sound very appetizing but since the Japanese have a different name, it sparked my curiosity.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:19 pm
makairaa

mav wrote:
Thanks! Was wondering because the name oilfish doesnt sound very appetizing but since the Japanese have a different name, it sparked my curiosity.

Its actually quite tasty, just has nasty consequences if you eat too much. Several countries including japan have banned the importation and sale of it.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:11 pm
tackleholic

Wow...your expression tells it all--Super Stoked. Just looking at that beautiful oily fish is starting to give me the trots. Great Catch, Congrats!!! AAA on da release!
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: