Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
|Went to Catalina on Saturday, as APs were over and finals were mostly over.
Started off opaleye fishing, and caught 5. I fished some dead mackerel with a wire leader on the bottom, but lobsters/smaller fish just picked the bait clean. I caught a blacksmith and used that as bait, dropping it directly under the pier. I continued to fish for opaleye, and caught 3 more before getting a crushing strike on the big rod. After hard maybe 30 second fight I managed to bring the fish to the surface. It was an absolutely huge calico - 23 inches and ~6-7 lbs.
And yes, I kept it.
Justification: There is a very large and healthy population of calico bass in Avalon harbor and Lover's cove, with divers reporting fish of this size being common around the Mole and in Lover's Cove. Will I do this again? Probably not, as I like my calicos a little smaller.
Back to the report: The bite died, so I moved to the GPP. There I caught two more opaleye to fill my limit. There were an absolutely ridiculous number of oceanic whitefish hugging the bottom, and I caught maybe 20 of them, keeping only 8. There were also lots of perfect bait-sized amberstripe scad, but I already had my fish. I put out two larger ones as bait and nearly got spooled on my heavy(ish) conventional outfit. Towards nightfall, a big school of jack mackerel came out. One ended up breaking my light rod as I left it leaning against the railing. I took the 8:45 pm boat home.
1 Calico Bass
8 Oceanic Whitefish
12 Pacific Jack Mackerel
8 Amberstripe Scad
1 Pacific Chub Mackerel
Although this is a lot of fish, I eat a lot of fish (at least 3-4 servings a week), so this will all be used within 2-3 months. And nothing will be wasted: bones and heads for stock, roe and livers fried up and eaten.
Observations and Questions:
- Lots of Opaleye, but very line shy
- Few bonito (saw only one caught), but lots of mackerel
- Amberstripe Scad and Swallow Damsels are back
- Still lots of sheephead at GPP
- Ungodly number of oceanic whitefish
- Calico at the GPP getting bigger (lots of 13 inchers)
- Anybody else notice how line/bait/lure shy the calico get at legal size?
- Sheephead tactics?
- Anybody know if you can fish off Descanso beach? A diver reported seeing huge halibut there.
- Anybody else eat fish livers/roe? The calico had a large liver that was absolutely delicious.
Ego non baptizo te in nomine patris, sed in nomine diaboli!