pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Benicia First Street Pier [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:59 pm
qchris87

On 5/31 had plenty of time to soak some bait out on the pier. Fished the murky brown water at the beginning of incoming tide around 11:30. The wind was kicking and shakers were stripping bait without me noticing so I checked every 15-20 minutes. I didnít get a decent bite until 3:30 PM, close to the top of the tide. Took home a 20 inch striper for dinner.

Also saw someone catch a starry flounder. Pretty cool fish that I havenít caught yet.

Gear:
7í Hurricane Mako
Slider rig
25 lb. mono mainline
20 lb. mono leader
3/0 baitholder hook
3 oz. pyramid sinker

7í Abu Garcia Bruiser
Slider rig
30 lb. mono mainline
20 lb. mono leader
3/0 baitholder hook
4 oz. pyramid sinker

Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:43 am
red fish

Way to go Chris! I am just now seeing the picture to accompany your report. You know, a picture really does have a great deal of information as everyone doesn't possess a pocket full of great adjectives.
I have yet to get a keeper off of 1st Street Pier in Benicia. My niece and nephew live in Benicia and I took them there last year about this time as well as Ninth Street Pier. They ended up with a small striper and a smelt to wear off the skunk.
I believe both of those piers hold keeper striper (and sturgeon) but you REALLY need to know what to do and when. For instance, sardine or perhaps live mudsucker could work well at both places. At first street, you have to know where the snags are or you will have nothing but lost lead and frustration! Also, you need to know when to fish to the north and when to fish to the south with the tide and where to fish to avoid the many snags.

Good job and thanks for sharing the report! Behind you can be a pretty decent salmon spot off of the rockwall after July during incoming tide.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 am
pinfish

good catch!

@redfish
yeah that pier is tough. fished it since 89. I am here all the time, i know, after all these years, the underwater topography of the entire area. lol.

but the pier not often. and usually its just shakers. i have caught keepers and big stripers from the shore nearby but not the pier. a couple sturgeon too but i don't usually fish for them. one year, there was a 15 foot dead sturgeon washed ashore there. and I've seen huge ones launch from 100's of yards out, so really know they are huge.

its also a pier to do some "pier trolling" but I never got a fish with a lure that way, but I have gotten them on bait when the current is so strong you let it "troll" in the current. also vertical jigging. but the best is the old fashioned bait chunking.

this past weekend I caught a shaker halibut from the shore there. twice. haha

Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: