pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Barbless Hooks for Sturgeon [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:16 pm
skyhook

Thinking of trying for Sturgeon this winter. But considering the current regulations, basically the barbless hook requirement, has anyone found a style of barbless hook that would give me a decent chance at hooking and landing a fish? Would also appreciate getting a tip or two on how to keep the bait from sliding off since there isn't a barb acting as a back stop. I want to keep in compliance with the regs. But considering the amount of cash and time that's going to be invested in chasing these fish, there just has to be a better way.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm
Trumbo

Owner cutting point. Only hooks I use. Elastic thread. Never had a problem.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 pm
Fishmom1

Elastic thread is magical. Another trick is to impale a little chunk of an elastic band on the end of the hook, after you put the bait on. Cut the elastic band off short after you put it on the hook.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 am
Sofa King

Maruto Grabber Hooks are a great "semi-barbless" hook that meets California's barbless guidelines. instead of a barb they have small ridges near the point that grab on like a plier. Coupled with your favorite bait and a "Bait Button" you should have no problem bagging a giant.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:06 pm
skyhook

Sofa King wrote:
Maruto Grabber Hooks are a great "semi-barbless" hook that meets California's barbless guidelines. instead of a barb they have small ridges near the point that grab on like a plier. Coupled with your favorite bait and a "Bait Button" you should have no problem bagging a giant.

I would love to give those a try. Just a little leery about running into the wrong Warden (E.g. A warden who takes it upon himself to interpret the term barbless as meaning even the slightest nick in a hook would constitute a barb)only to have him insist that I had somehow violated the reg. But thanks for the Bait Button tip. I'll pick up one this weekend.

Fishmom1 wrote:
Elastic thread is magical. Another trick is to impale a little chunk of an elastic band on the end of the hook, after you put the bait on. Cut the elastic band off short after you put it on the hook.

Used that back in the day before they changed the regs. And I would guess it's a lot easier to get off the hook when changing bait since there's no barb to deal with. Probably just slide the whole bird's nest right off the hook.

Trumbo wrote:
Owner cutting point. Only hooks I use. Elastic thread. Never had a problem.

Yep, love 'em. Those Owner's a great.. Also bought a pack of Gamakatsu Big River hooks. They have and odd shape, sort of a "V" bottom with longer section from the bottom of the V to the point of the hook.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 pm
dan v.

The Kahle style hook works real good , unfortunately none come barbless . Owner makes them with a barb , grind them off ! A short piece of a large rubber band after your bait keeps it on pretty good .
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:33 pm
skyhook

dan v. wrote:
The Kahle style hook works real good , unfortunately none come barbless . Owner makes them with a barb , grind them off ! A short piece of a large rubber band after your bait keeps it on pretty good .

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: