pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Long Beach Pier, 1909, Girl Is Seized By Devilfish [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:58 pm
Ken Jones

Meanwhile at the Pier Avenue Pier in Long Beach...

Girl Is Seized By Devilfish —
Fishermen Rescue Bather From Octopus —
Man Armed With Cleaver is Lowered from Pier and Severs Tentacles of Huge Denizen of Deep

Long Beach, Oct. 1.’Fishermen at the end of the pier related a thrilling story today of the rescue of a fair bather who had been seized by an octopus. While swimming near the end of the pier, they said, the young woman was heard to scream. Rushing to the edge of the wharf, the men ascertained that a giant devilfish had wrapped a tentacle around one of her limbs. The devilfish also had a firm grasp upon a piling of the pier with another tentacle.
E. B. Counts, the typical fisherman who presides over the destinies of a pier market, tied a rope about the waist of Clarence Owen, one of the market owners, and lowered him to the surface of the water. Owen was armed with a cleaver, and he chopped the tentacle in two which was wrapped around the piling. He then picked the young woman up out of the water, severing another tentacle of the octopus as he did so. The devilfish, which had emitted a flood of inky liquid, then sank to the bottom, and Owen carried the rescued bather to the deck of the pier. The devilfish is believed to have measured six feet from tip to tip.
Counts said the girl’s name was Ethel Seymour. He said he could not give her address but said she had on a bath house bathing suit. He described her as a “Purty gal who had a lot of nerve.” At the bath house it was stated that no report of her trouble had been made by the young woman, if she had been a patron there.
“It’s a wonder the octopus didn’t drag her down,” said Counts. “She treaded water and then grabbed hold of a piling, or she would have been a goner.” Miss Seymour could not be located this evening, and is supposed to have been a visitor here for the day.
—Los Angeles Herald, October 2, 1909

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm
Trumbo

This story made me hungry. I bought a frozen Devilfish from 99 ranch and will stew it in red wine and crushed tomatoes. Shallots, garlic and parsley. Boudines sourdough you got a meal
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 am
Ken Jones

Although I love squid, I've never eaten octopus ("devilfish"). Does is tenderize a bit when stewed?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:41 am
marty gingras

Ken Jones wrote:
Although I love squid, I've never eaten octopus ("devilfish"). Does is tenderize a bit when stewed?

It's wonderful sashimi, sweet and crisp. It's also wonderful marinated and grilled.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:05 pm
Trumbo

It gets very tender. It is first simmered for an hour in water. Then it’s chopped up and added to the sauce. Simmered an hour and a half longer. Very mild as well
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: