pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> crab opener [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:18 pm
therealhobos

Went to ocean beach around 8:30 am to check out ocean beach. A bunch of people out there but only saw some shorts come up. The current looked like it was ripping. Watched for a while but only saw one 1 short come up. Decided to head to baker beach for better conditions. When I got there around 9, conditions look much better. However, there were a ton of guys and a lot of kayakers and boats. FIshed there till 2pm for a few shorts. DIdn't see one keeper come up from the people around me or anyone I talked to. Seemed extremely slow for such great conditions. Any one else have better luck? Feel free to pm me.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:59 pm
i am brandon

I was at Baker on a yak.

Overall very slow, some other yakers got a few but these people had many traps and had been at it for a long time.

I dropped mine for a few hours around 10-2 for a clunker of a female that I threw back and plenty small ones.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:54 pm
Sofa King

I was here as well. I got a huge female promptly returned due to the giant egg cluster. I also got a barely keeper male and my partner got a large rock crab. I also got as many surf perch and smelt as I wanted to fish for. I stopped at 5 BSP and a few smelt.
I fished from 630 til noon.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:56 pm
sea_forager

Yeah Baker was really slow for me as well. The tidal coefficient/current was really strong today, but even still I was surprised at how slow Baker Beach was.

Sofa King wrote:
I was here as well. I got a huge female promptly returned due to the giant egg cluster.

Same. Pulled up 3 lunker females all super gravid right as I started a little before 7. Put them right back. Ironically, all were caught using your snares Wink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:05 am
pinfish

i was on the marin side, it was dead as dead can be
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:59 pm
nacho

I went to Pacifica Pier pretty early in the Saturday morning. Manage to get 4 crabs in around 90 minutes, all of them small (and two of them females).

Paficica Municipal pier was crowded, but not many crabs where being caught, and of those, almost no keepers. I think I only saw 1 guy getting a keeper.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:17 pm
xpostman

I was at Point Reyes Saturday morning. Swells were tossing our snares back to the beach.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:22 pm
therealhobos

xpostman wrote:
I was at Point Reyes Saturday morning. Swells were tossing our snares back to the beach.

thanks for the info. I have never been there, how do you usually do over there?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:21 am
xpostman

therealhobos wrote:
xpostman wrote:

thanks for the info. I have never been there, how do you usually do over there?

we were literally stepping on market sized crabs two weeks ago. my guess is the big swells pushed out the crabs and perch to deeper water. I caught this 14" redtail perch this Saturday 11/04 at high tide around 11AM.

IMG_4199.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.35 KB
 Viewed:  785 Time(s)

IMG_4199.JPG

Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:11 pm
flipback1976

Yeah we were at baker as well Saturday from 4:45am to 12:30pm I got 2 monster females first two cast but they were loaded with eggs and returned to the water. After the only managed 2 dink males the rest of the day. Never had such a slow day at baker and the conditions weren't to bad at all.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:22 pm
sea_forager

Unless the upcoming swell surge on Wednesday and Thursday pushes them back out, this weekend should be solid for snaring.

Went out sight-crabbing at Ocean Beach this morning because of the low swell and low wind and walked away with 4 large keepers, 3 males and 1 female. Lots of shorties running around the shallows and I missed 3 other large ones due to getting pinched or moving too slow. Haven't done this since June so I was a little rusty haha

The current is going to ease up significantly this weekend compared to last, and should make it more productive for everyone throwing snares regardless if they're at OB, China, Baker, etc..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:01 pm
Kyron

I was at Baker on Sunday from 5:30-10:30am. 1 legal female with eggs which went back into the water. I hauled up another 12 shorts but most of them were before the sun was out. I pretty much stopped catching any crab an hour or so after the tide changed to incoming.

Also, I bought my snares at GFOS for $7.49 each. If you got one of these please replace the leader on them before use. I only had 3 from there and they all broke off while casting.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 am
expo23

my friend went out to pacifica pier yesterday. 2 male keepers. plan to head out to the jetty sometime this week. let me know if anyone else is going for a meet up.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:36 am
sea_forager

expo23 wrote:
my friend went out to pacifica pier yesterday. 2 male keepers. plan to head out to the jetty sometime this week. let me know if anyone else is going for a meet up.

Just be wary of that swell spike coinciding with some potential rain that is looking to roll in later Thursday and into Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:40 am
pinfish

sea_forager wrote:
Went out sight-crabbing at Ocean Beach this morning

This is effective technique I would guess since I see them a lot when surf striper casting. I even see big crawdads when trout fishing inland and I feel like I can just snatch them easily.

Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: