pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> History, Berkeley halibut [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:50 am
Ken Jones

Alden Godbier takes the prize for unusual striped bass fishing this week. Trolling near the ferry pier at Berkeley he had a big strike. Imagine his surprise after landing the fish to find out that it was as fine a halibut as you would ever want to see. Anyone ever hear of a halibut being taken trolling in the bay?
óLine On Sportsman, Oakland Tribune, June 18, 1937
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm
pinfish

That is the method off SSF.

We got one in Crockett trolling for stripers when they used to release salmon smolt.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 pm
Ken Jones

The surprising thing is that back then halibut seem to have been rarely caught in the bay.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 am
songslinger

Ken Jones wrote:
Anyone ever hear of a halibut being taken trolling in the bay?

Yes. A good spot was working both sides of the old Berkeley Pier Pilings. Or trolling the flats between Brooks Island and the breaker in Richmond.

Quote:

The surprising thing is that back then halibut seem to have been rarely caught in the bay.

I suspect the simple explanation is that not many targeted halibut then. I noticed something like that in Goleta and Gaviota. Plenty of bait but the locals stopped there. Remember you and I fishing Gaviota after the get together, Ken? (Sure you do. That was a the day you caught a perch so humongous I could see it from a football field length away.) Who was fishing for halibut there besides me? No one. And it was something of a surprise to others (not you or me!) when I pulled up a hali on bait you provided.

On Berkeley Pier it was often queried why people rarely caught sturgeon. I always said it was because no one was fishing for them. And I stand by that. The big diamondbacks are in that vicinity all the time. But who put out sturgeon bait? No one. The main fish were halibut and stripers, or jacksmelt. Baits used for those are seldom effective for dinos.

Though Berkeley Pier was always a go-to spot for halibut during the spawn, the pursuit of the grand flattie was not that big elsewhere. It really caught fire around the time of...computers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 am
Ken Jones

Glen,

I do remember that day at Gaviota. It followed the PFIC Get Together at Goleta and I had a nice rubberlip perch while you had a nice halibut (and I wish that the Gaviota Pier was still open).

As for the halibut in the bay, you could be right.

I remember when I was on the Bay-Delta Stamp Committee and we tried to get the state to set up halibut grow pens in Alameda similar to the white seabass pens down south. The Department of F&G reused saying that halibut were not common to SF Bay but to areas further south. They said they only came north and (apparently) spawned during El Nino years. Members of the committee disagreed citing the numbers caught on piers and boats in SF Bay but, as usual, the departmet had the final say and they refused to let us make that a funded project.

I still think they were wrong.

I'm also wondering where the money went that was in the Bay-Delta Stamp fund?

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: