pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Rarer Rockfish Species from Shore? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:25 pm
Rufio

What are some of the rarer species you guys have encountered while fishing from shore? I've caught BnYs, Blues, Blacks, Kelps, and Grassies and I've seen Olives withing casting distance while diving. I recently saw someone catch a Treefish which was awesome.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:46 pm
frozendog

also browns,copper and gopher rockfish from shore.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 pm
dsch2251

Ive caught a vermillion from shore. One of my personal favorite catches. Not sure if that is rare or not, but it was for me.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:12 pm
calaznfisher

Treefish are a fairly common catch from the shore in certain areas of Southern California.

There are a select few spots near Big Sur where Vermillions have been caught from the shore.

The most rare rockfish I have seen caught from the shore was caught by my good friend and species hunting extradinaire Ken (http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/) and it was a Tiger Rockfish... a species that is even rarely caught from boats fishing extremely deep waters. He also caught a Quillback Rockfish from the shore, again, another fairly rare species in shallow water.

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:05 pm
sea_forager

Yoooooo that vermillion is gorgeous.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:40 pm
Ken Jones

My list of pier-caught rockfish. A few are uncommon to piers and a couple were not in areas they are supposed to be but none are rare.

Adult Rockfish: blue rockfish, black rockfish, copper rockfish, grass rockfish, kelp rockfish, brown rockfish, black & yellow rockfish, gopher rockfish, olive rockfish, calico rockfish, treefish, & CA scorpionfish (aka sculpin)

Juvenile Rockfish: bocaccio, yellowtail rockfish, orange rockfish, chilipepper rockfish, vermilion rockfish & several still unidentified juveniles.

Last edited by Ken Jones on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:26 am
Ken Jones

sea_forager wrote:
Yoooooo that vermillion is gorgeous.

That's the tiger rockfish, not a vermilion.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:53 am
Ken Jones

Since I was checking my records, I also checked on the rockfish I've caught on boats:

Black rockfish, blue rockfish, bocaccio, brown rockfish, California scorpionfish, chilipepper rockfish, China rockfish, Copper Rockfish, flag rockfish, gopher rockfish, greenspotted rockfish, greenstriped rockfish, honeycomb rockfish, olive rockfish, orange rockfish, rosethorn rockfish, rosy rockfish, speckled rockfish, starry rockfish, squarespot rockfish, vermilion rockfish, whitebelly rockfish, widow rockfish, quillback rockfish, yelloweye rockfish and yellowtail rockfish.

Where were they caught? Boats out of Redondo Beach, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, San Simeon, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Emeryville and Sausalito (Farallon Islands), Fort Bragg and Crescent City.

I never fished for the deepwater rockfish down south and I think most of those areas are now closed so I will probably never get a cowcod rockfish.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:08 pm
sea_forager

[quote="Ken Jones"]
sea_forager wrote:

That's the tiger rockfish, not a vermilion.

Thanks for correction! It's still super pretty Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:39 pm
Ken Jones

Yep.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:01 pm
makairaa

Ken Jones wrote:
Since I was checking my records, I also checked on the rockfish I've caught on boats:

Black rockfish, blue rockfish, bocaccio, brown rockfish, California scorpionfish, chilipepper rockfish, China rockfish, Copper Rockfish, flag rockfish, gopher rockfish, greenspotted rockfish, greenstriped rockfish, honeycomb rockfish, olive rockfish, orange rockfish, rosethorn rockfish, rosy rockfish, speckled rockfish, starry rockfish, squarespot rockfish, vermilion rockfish, whitebelly rockfish, widow rockfish, quillback rockfish, yelloweye rockfish and yellowtail rockfish.

Where were they caught? Boats out of Redondo Beach, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, San Simeon, Monterey, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Emeryville and Sausalito (Farallon Islands), Fort Bragg and Crescent City.

I never fished for the deepwater rockfish down south and I think most of those areas are now closed so I will probably never get a cowcod rockfish.

The boats down here still catch some cowcod in the 300 to 360 foot depths. You just cannot keep them. The catches are actually becoming more common now. A few years ago they changed the depth limit to 300 feet because too many were being caught. They reopened the limit to 360 feet with the requirement that the party boats have a descender device to send cows back down.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:37 pm
Ken Jones

Intereting although I wouldn't want to target them. I do believe they are still legal in Mexico.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 pm
makairaa

Ken Jones wrote:
Intereting although I wouldn't want to target them. I do believe they are still legal in Mexico.

Yes, but illegal to bring across the border. Although many of the boats do.

Good to know.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:20 pm
Salty Nick v2

I caught one vermillion from shore, too - rare for me, because it was the only one.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 am
RobF

Salty Nick v2 wrote:
I caught one vermillion from shore, too - rare for me, because it was the only one.

Salty.

I remember that day well. It was a really nice huge fish. Sadly that deep hole is now off limits.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: