pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Oregon bans all rockfishing [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:14 pm
Eekamouse!


Posts: 90

I feel sorry for the fisherman in Oregon. This applies to all anglers, not just those on boats. It also applies to all rockfish, even though it was only one species, black rockfish, that got slammed by fisherman. Hopefully, California will not be next.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/09_sep/091217b.asp
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 am
sea_forager


Posts: 210
Location: San Francisco

Yeesh that's rough. More than just recreational anglers, this is will obviously have broad economic impact on communities and businesses that are connected to the bottomfishing trade.

The desire for these fish, either for sport or on a plate, isn't going to abate however. With the dungeness season in Oregon last year being impacted by domoic acid levels, you had a massive influx of commercial and recreational boats getting CA licenses and coming across the border to hit our stocks. It would not surprise me if we saw a similar knock-on effect with people looking to catch lings and rockfish, be it for business or pleasure, and crowding the waters both here and in southern Washington.

If the hole you're used to fishing shuts down you don't simply stop fishing. You find a new hole.

Still, I have to tip my hat to ODFW for making this difficult decision. Their job, among other things, is to safeguard the sustainability of a species. I'm sure a lot of people are going to try and demonize them, but if anglers were having a banner year on rockies and lings and pushing up agains those sustainability quotas, then this ought to have been an expected outcome.


Eekamouse! wrote:
I feel sorry for the fisherman in Oregon. This applies to all anglers, not just those on boats. It also applies to all rockfish, even though it was only one species, black rockfish, that got slammed by fisherman. Hopefully, California will not be next.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/09_sep/091217b.asp

_________________
Catch & cook. No time for selfies.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:09 pm
Trumbo


Posts: 850
Location: East bay

They should shut down commercial here.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:31 pm
hugs86


Posts: 76

sea_forager wrote:
Yeesh that's rough. More than just recreational anglers, this is will obviously have broad economic impact on communities and businesses that are connected to the bottomfishing trade.

The desire for these fish, either for sport or on a plate, isn't going to abate however. With the dungeness season in Oregon last year being impacted by domoic acid levels, you had a massive influx of commercial and recreational boats getting CA licenses and coming across the border to hit our stocks. It would not surprise me if we saw a similar knock-on effect with people looking to catch lings and rockfish, be it for business or pleasure, and crowding the waters both here and in southern Washington.

If the hole you're used to fishing shuts down you don't simply stop fishing. You find a new hole.

Still, I have to tip my hat to ODFW for making this difficult decision. Their job, among other things, is to safeguard the sustainability of a species. I'm sure a lot of people are going to try and demonize them, but if anglers were having a banner year on rockies and lings and pushing up agains those sustainability quotas, then this ought to have been an expected outcome.


Eekamouse! wrote:
I feel sorry for the fisherman in Oregon. This applies to all anglers, not just those on boats. It also applies to all rockfish, even though it was only one species, black rockfish, that got slammed by fisherman. Hopefully, California will not be next.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2017/09_sep/091217b.asp


The good ol gov can do no wrong right. Wait till you see what they're gonna do were you live.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:01 pm
sea_forager


Posts: 210
Location: San Francisco

hugs86 wrote:

The good ol gov can do no wrong right. Wait till you see what they're gonna do were you live.


Pretty sure that wasn't what I was saying but I'm sure you knew that. Now if you have an actual response, solution, etc... to the very real problem of keeping wild fishing stocks sustainable for commercial and recreational anglers, and how to regulate that, I'm all ears.


Trumbo wrote:
They should shut down commercial here.


Commercial period or cross-state commercial activity? I found out from some local crabbers about the whole issue when the dungeness fishery in OR shut down and these big crabbing boats were coming down from Oregon and competed with-- and really pushed out-- a lot of local crabbers. I was surprised that CDFW makes it easy for an out of state commercial entity to get a commercial license particularly when sustainability is a goal of theirs.

_________________
Catch & cook. No time for selfies.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:08 pm
Eekamouse!


Posts: 90

Commercial period or cross-state commercial activity? I found out from some local crabbers about the whole issue when the dungeness fishery in OR shut down and these big crabbing boats were coming down from Oregon and competed with-- and really pushed out-- a lot of local crabbers. I was surprised that CDFW makes it easy for an out of state commercial entity to get a commercial license particularly when sustainability is a goal of theirs.[/quote]

I think there was a sensible solution for the very issue you bring up, but some knucklehead governor vetoed it:

>

2005

IT'S "hasta la vista, baby!" for Northern California's crab

fishery.

California's favorite Hollywood knucklehead, Gov. Schwarzenegger, crushed efforts to protect Northern California's Dungeness crab stock when he vetoed legislation limiting the number of crab traps to 250 per boat.

The bill by Assemblyman Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, would have barred large factory ships from carpeting local waters with hundreds of crab pots, a procedure that wipes out the male market crabs in a couple weeks, at which point the big boats move on. Such boats can carry 1,000 or more traps, four times more that the average crab boat handles.

The losers are smaller-scale Bay Area commercial crabbers and recreational fishermen who stick around all season, as well as local consumers, since depleting the supply of market crab early limits availability later and drives up retail prices. Last year, big out-of-state boats carpet-bombed so many crab pots so fast that some crabs were later dumped because San Francisco processors couldn't handle the glut.

Leno's bill also would have extended a state law which limits the number of boats that enter the commercial crab fishery. That law expires next April, and unless officials ram through emergency legislation soon, a wave of new boats will be on the horizon, further pressuring the resource.

Gov. Knucklehead, who rejected a similar measure last year, called the 250-pot limit an "arbitrary" restraint of trade. But 250 traps is just seven more than the average commercial boat handles, according to Zeke Grader, head of the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen's Associations.

The governor turned a deaf ear to a broad coalition of restaurant owners, recreational fishermen and commercial crabbers, including delegations based in Half Moon Bay, San Francisco, Sausalito, Bolinas and Bodega, with many waging spirited campaigns urging passage of the measure.

The bill was opposed by big boat interests and an out-of-state fish processor.

"Campaign contributions won out," Grader said.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:33 pm
hugs86


Posts: 76

As if recreational fishing has any effect on rockfish populations. Versus how many tons from commercial fishing, or drilling or pollution. It's always easy to blame recreational fishermen, we have no organizations or lawyers, so we're easy scapegoats.

Yeah what we need is even more fishing restrictions. Land of the free, home of the regulated.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:23 pm
uglystick


Posts: 61

Should push for feasible and scalable farming technique for rockfish.
_________________
fish on
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 pm
Azarkon


Posts: 35
Location: Orange County

People aren't catching them because they want them bad, but because they have no other choice.

From what I've been told by the Oregon guys:

Salmon closed. Halibut closed. Tuna too far out. Can't crab every day, so what else is there?

Guess the Oregon government's response is: fish sand dabs.

Won't be long before those are closed, too.

For those wondering whether it'll happen in California - northern California has the same environment as Oregon, but for whatever reason, fish and game thinks that the bottom fish in our water is doing a lot better, so they've actually decreased restrictions this year. I hope they don't come to regret it because with this I am certain Oregon guys are going to be hitting northern California hard the next few months.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:33 pm
Ken Jones


Posts: 9461
Location: California

That's rough. I was just talking to some Oregon fishermen in Crescent City Saturday that said the black rockfish had been reduced to three fish. O fish is even worse since they are/were one of the main fish taken by anglers at Brookings and other southern Oregon ports.
_________________
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:54 pm
seabass_seeker


Posts: 1840
Location: Clovis

Isn't it just a quota fulfilled? Do they have an off season like we do here for breeding?

I know that Alaska's black rockfish limits have been cut also. Seems like they aren't doing so well along the coast.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 am
Ken Jones


Posts: 9461
Location: California

I'm sure this must have come from the Pacific Managegement Council that oversees the western states. If they determine that the number of a fish such as black rockfish are low they give recommendations to the states which respond accordingly. I'm not sure if they can give direct quotas to the states.
_________________
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:30 am
steelhead


Posts: 13

California's Boat based groundfish season will be reduced this season as well...very soon. It was discussed at length at the latest PFMC meeting in Early September. Check the PFMC website for meeting notes. Its looking like we'll most likely exceed out yelloweye RF harvest guideline. Shore fishing will not be effected but boat based groundfish season will revert to last years depth regulations.

http://www.pcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/E10a_Sup_REVISED_GMT_Rpt2_SEPT2017BB.pdf

That really sucks...I was hoping to get out this season up north in November and super fish deep water. We were going to get unlimited depths in November...but that won't happening this year.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am
Ken Jones


Posts: 9461
Location: California

One good note this year is that I saw water in the north coast rivers on my drive to Eureka and Crescent City. First time I had seen water in some of them in September for a number of years. Has to be good for the salmon and steelhead.
_________________
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: