pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> OB Pier Saturday [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm
Lugazzy

Planning on heading down to SD and try my luck at OBGYN Pier. Heard some great things from friends but would like to get the boards take on what to expect. All tips welcomed, was told there are some Bonitos appearing at the end of the pier.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:25 pm
Lugazzy

OB Pier...
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:59 pm
mav

Saw on the news that tuna crabs started washing up on Monday. I went last Saturday. Most the bonito were caught mid pier around the store area on ball n feather and fresh dead bait. If you can get live sardines, you'd probably do better than most. Bonito were ok size, like two and some pounds. A lot of small macs on sabiki near the end. Slightly bigger macs with bait and a bunch of short calicos. Seen a couple of small Bat Rays and Rock Wrasses too.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:28 pm
Lugazzy

We got the ball and feather set up as well as frozen sardines. Don't know where to find fresh ones...

So mid tier is best bet? Gets crowded there but will try early morning
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:01 pm
mav

Yea, the bonito were towards the middle of the pier.

It's a long shot but you might be able to get fresh sardines on those tiny tiny sabikis. I could see some small sardines on the surface mixed in with the small smelt. The sardines have a more greenish slender appearance with a pointy head.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:17 pm
Lugazzy

Pier report:
Didn't make it to OB Pier instead we decided on Oceanside.

Time spent: 830am to 230 pm
Weather: overcast
Water: calm and glossy

Crowded pier today with a lot of anglers already in place by the time we arrived. Funny my dad asked and most around us were there from the Crack of dawn.

We each set up a sibiki for bait with the other rod anglers choice. I chose Carolina rig using shrimp while I waited for bait fish.

Tons of bait fish in the water really great to see, around 930 the macs started to hit with a few bonitos charging hard. We spent the rest of the morning til about 1pm with steady action. After 1pm things calmed down.

Final count:
12 macs for bbq tomorrow
1 calico throw back
1 Hali about 8 inch baby, thrown back
Tons for bait fish, will bring net next time.

I hooked a bonito and it was a great pull, unfortunately it darted under the pier and snapped my line.

Saw at least 6 bonitos pulled in during the day.

Overall enjoyed the time, hopeful to make some time soon to go again.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:27 pm
mav

Sounds like a fun day. I havent been there in years, not since they reopened it and a couple of years after that. I remember seeing the bonies smashing bait all over and NOBODY was fishing for them but us. I guess the big draw, back then, were the large sargo, keeper halibut, and them HUGE spotfin croakers.

If you use worms for bait you can catch rock wrasses BTW. Them big bonito are just too fun though.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: