pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Is striper still around in San Mateo coast? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:30 pm
dsch2251

Nice! I like it. Those are the kind of catches that kids remember for life....
So, that was caught on a chunk of shrimp? Fresh? Or cooked?

Good Catch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:06 pm
ING

Chewie wrote:
Greetings all, I'm a newbie here.

Just wanted to post that my sons and I scored a few striped bass off Baker Beach of all places on Sunday 9/17/2017. bunch of jacksmelt too.

Big fish was a fine 26"

Standard High Low rig, 4 oz. pyramid weight, shrimp chunks as bait. Waves were very flat. Fish caught 8-10am High tide was just after 10am.

Total blast for my sons! (and me too!)

Great catch! It is wonderful, especially for kids!
Congratulation!
Probably, stripers start their return to delta.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:43 am
sea_forager

Chewie wrote:

Just wanted to post that my sons and I scored a few striped bass off Baker Beach of all places on Sunday 9/17/2017. bunch of jacksmelt too.

Big fish was a fine 26"

Standard High Low rig, 4 oz. pyramid weight, shrimp chunks as bait. Waves were very flat. Fish caught 8-10am High tide was just after 10am.

Such a great outing you and your boys had there! You're right the weather was great for fishing the incoming tide that morning. Exciting to hear that they are likely starting to move back along that stretch on their way to the delta. Might have to get off the rocks and revisit Baker real soon. Thanks for the great report!

uglystick wrote:

Don't cry, sea_forager Razz

LOL too late, mate. 😭

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:14 pm
Tifoso

Chewie wrote:

Big fish was a fine 26"

Great work!

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:16 pm
Tifoso

sea_forager wrote:

LOL too late, mate. 😭

Hahahaha! Very Happy

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:37 am
pinfish

Chewie wrote:

haha, i wonder why people don't fish there anymore. The stripers run there every year in the old days. Now people just crab.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:57 am
sea_forager

pinfish wrote:
haha, i wonder why people don't fish there anymore. The stripers run there every year in the old days. Now people just crab.

Yeah when dungie season gets going Baker and China are really the two places in SF to cast out and hopefully snare males, with Baker being more prominent because of larger real estate. You're right though, plenty of perch and JS that move through there, and stripers at the beginning & end of their trip through the Golden Gate. The rocks at the far northeast end also offers a chance for some grassies and striped sea perch as long as you can handle the nudity.

It's a solid beach, and while the length of it is great, the width isn't so big and so it tends to get crowded quick, which I imagine makes it unattractive during nicer weather for some anglers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:37 pm
pinfish

yes they were catching pig stripers there before i made the call for people to start snaring there for dungy's
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:21 pm
Chewie

dsch2251 wrote:
Nice! I like it. Those are the kind of catches that kids remember for life....
So, that was caught on a chunk of shrimp? Fresh? Or cooked?

Good Catch!

Yeah, just frozen raw shrimp chunks. Basically 1/2 a shrimp on each hook. We got lucky with very little cross current that day. The line was staying in place and sure enough, we'd look over and the rod was bent in half and we ran to reel in!

Was just a good day fishing!
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm
Chewie

sea_forager wrote:
pinfish wrote:

Yeah when dungie season gets going Baker and China are really the two places in SF to cast out and hopefully snare males, with Baker being more prominent because of larger real estate. You're right though, plenty of perch and JS that move through there, and stripers at the beginning & end of their trip through the Golden Gate. The rocks at the far northeast end also offers a chance for some grassies and striped sea perch as long as you can handle the nudity.

It's a solid beach, and while the length of it is great, the width isn't so big and so it tends to get crowded quick, which I imagine makes it unattractive during nicer weather for some anglers.

Gotta agree on the crowds at Baker. We try to go early before it gets busy. And my sons and I go for dungeness in season too. Some days it seems I catch more canines running after tennis balls than I do anything else.

But it's a beautful beach, close to our home, and less crowded at the very tips on either end which makes it our go to spot when we can get out. We'll be tryin again for stripers soon as my sons need too learn more about the 'fishing' part of it...now that they've experienced the 'catching.'
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:02 pm
sea_forager

Chewie wrote:

But it's a beautful beach, close to our home, and less crowded at the very tips on either end which makes it our go to spot when we can get out. We'll be tryin again for stripers soon as my sons need too learn more about the 'fishing' part of it...now that they've experienced the 'catching.'

Howdy, neighbor! Smile

China Beach is rock solid for snaring too as well as casting out for the usual SF beach species if the Baker crowds-- anglers or otherwise-- get a bit much. Good practice beach as well because of how few people go there. The stairs down mean almost zero dogs too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:49 pm
sea_forager

Chewie wrote:

Yeah, just frozen raw shrimp chunks. Basically 1/2 a shrimp on each hook.
Was just a good day fishing!

Shoutout to Chewie here. His report inspired me to not write off stripers this season and put some time in at Baker Beach this morning. The striper bite was on fire for me at the bottom of the outgoing tide. First cast out I hooked up a 19" striper, which I understand for many of you is still in the "diaper" ranking, but for someone like me that has caught well over 70 schoolies this year but failed to pull in a keeper, this was a happy occasion!

I kept the 19-incher and then proceeded to catch 4 18~18.5" in a row within the span of 30 minutes. All released. The were biting so aggressively that I hauled in one 18-incher that slammed my #2 sabiki rig that I was casting, searching for schools of perch while my hi/lo soaked on my other rod.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:54 am
Novice Fisherman

I was only able to land a few smelts the last 4 trips to China Beach within the past 2 weeks. I'll give it another go this week after reading your post.

1. All the stripers you landed were caught with shrimp as bait except one with the sabiki rig?

2. Which side of Baker Beach were you fishing at?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 am
sea_forager

Novice Fisherman wrote:
I was only able to land a few smelts the last 4 trips to China Beach within the past 2 weeks. I'll give it another go this week after reading your post.

1. All the stripers you landed were caught with shrimp as bait except one with the sabiki rig?

2. Which side of Baker Beach were you fishing at?

Yeah all the stripers I caught on hi/lo rigs were on chunks of shrimp. I used 2/0 and 4/0 hooks and caught fish on both sizes. The sabikis were #2 hooks but I also tipped them with some shrimp cutbait for scent and a thin strip of squid for some movement, and I've caught perch, jacksmelt, and now a striper off that.

I should mention that Uglystick was out there at Baker as well and he pulled in his stripers off an LC Flash Minnow. So don't be afraid to change it up if the bait isn't working for you.

As far as which side, I was at the far northeast end-- the "naked part", next to the rocks. Others were fishing off the rocks themselves, going for stripers using anchovies, but I left before I could tell if they had caught anything.

Both of Uglystick's lure stripers were closer to the mid section of the beach. And honestly, given how long of a walk it is to that far northeast end, I'd probably just set up shop closer to the parking lot entrance next time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:15 am
uglystick

sea_forager wrote:
Both of Uglystick's lure stripers were closer to the mid section of the beach. And honestly, given how long of a walk it is to that far northeast end, I'd probably just set up shop closer to the parking lot entrance next time.

But then you have to deal with trillion more people and their dogs Smile

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 3  Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: