pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Is striper still around in San Mateo coast? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:59 pm
uglystick

This is my first season fishing for striper.

Till now I have only caught 4 of them, and they were all before July. Though I have been searching for them along the coast, I didn't have any luck for almost 3 months.

Are they usually still around in September? When is the the last month I should expect them on beach?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 am
ING

uglystick wrote:
This is my first season fishing for striper.

Till now I have only caught 4 of them, and they were all before July. Though I have been searching for them along the coast, I didn't have any luck for almost 3 months.

Are they usually still around in September? When is the the last month I should expect them on beach?

Thanks.

Occasionally some Stripers where around SF to end of July.
At now the Halibuts and Perches are here.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:28 pm
pinoyfisherman

They've started to move toward the delta, but from what I've heard there's still some here and there, with perch being pulled out.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:02 pm
uglystick

Thanks everyone for the info!

So, looks like I should switch target to (big) perch and halibut from shoreline now?

I have never caught a halibut yet. Are they available along the same coastline, or mostly inside the bay / in deep water?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:52 am
coolfishermen

If you are fishing the coast line, I know that Santa Cruz and Capitola has been getting halibut due to all the anchovies that are being caught and used for bait.

If you are a bit close to the SF bay, I would say fish in there throwing white swimbaits. The stripers are still being caught all around the bay, but the numbers are like 1:10 keeper to shakers. Same could be said about the halibut numbers too.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am
uglystick

coolfishermen wrote:
If you are a bit close to the SF bay, I would say fish in there throwing white swimbaits. The stripers are still being caught all around the bay, but the numbers are like 1:10 keeper to shakers. Same could be said about the halibut numbers too.

Thanks! Would LC Flash Minnow be better (or as good) compared to white swimbaits? I feel LC Flash Minnow may attract a broad spectrum of species since I don't know what might hit now.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 am
coolfishermen

uglystick wrote:
coolfishermen wrote:

Thanks! Would LC Flash Minnow be better (or as good) compared to white swimbaits? I feel LC Flash Minnow may attract a broad spectrum of species since I don't know what might hit now.

Pointers and jerkbaits work in the bay, but just a lot more rocks and snags in the bay. so a cheaper alternative to lose a swimbait than an a flash minnow. Especially if you are fishing the lower water column for more halibut.

But higher hook up ratio for other fish, such as perch or smelt, jerk bait due to the treble hook.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:53 pm
pinoyfisherman

If you're in the bay try from crissy field to coyote point for halibut.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:23 pm
uglystick

Thanks for the info!

I am a bit curious if halibut is available outside the bay. I am aware that people catching them in the surf on sandy beach. Is that common during the season, or just a rare thing?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:00 pm
pinoyfisherman

uglystick wrote:
Thanks for the info!

I am a bit curious if halibut is available outside the bay. I am aware that people catching them in the surf on sandy beach. Is that common during the season, or just a rare thing?
I forget the exact "season," and I think it has to do with spawning and them coming in closer to shore (a captain told me about it a while back but the info has escaped me.) I've found the bigger halibut to be between Capitola to Moss Landing if you're looking for some outside the Bay.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:57 pm
uglystick

I went to SF and fished with sea_forager this morning, and I ended up pulling a 22-inch striper from a rockfish hole off the cliff.

I am happy to conclude this season with this super surprising catch Smile

I guess it is not so bad for my first season: first fish was caught in the first 5min on the first trip targeting them, and the (hope-not) last one was caught in rocks off cliff.

Now I wish to cross halibut off my to-catch list Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 pm
sea_forager

UNREAL. I go the whole season without catching a keeper sized striper, move onto rockfishing and invite uglystick out to SF to explore Lands End and try to put him on some rockies... and what does he do? He hauls in a striper from my damn rockfish hole and up the cliff. Unbelievable. Beautiful fish though and couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!

Rockfish definitely were not home today but holy crap were the perch dinks and jacksmelt in full force. A bait ball of anchovies were also making their way around--- only managed to pull in one on the sabiki before they moved on. Maybe that's why the striper was in the area to begin with and just decided to hole up in that cove afterwards? So strange.

uglystick wrote:
I went to SF and fished with sea_forager this morning, and I ended up pulling a 22-inch striper from a rockfish hole off the cliff.

I am happy to conclude this season with this super surprising catch Smile

I guess it is not so bad for my first season: first fish was caught in the first 5min on the first trip targeting them, and the (hope-not) last one was caught in rocks off cliff.

Now I wish to cross halibut off my to-catch list Smile

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 am
pinfish

stripers are not around here where i live, so they're still out at sea

if this was the east coast, they're still out at the beaches...
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:26 pm
Chewie

Greetings all, I'm a newbie here.

Just wanted to post that my sons and I scored a few striped bass off Baker Beach of all places on Sunday 9/17/2017. bunch of jacksmelt too.

Big fish was a fine 26"

Standard High Low rig, 4 oz. pyramid weight, shrimp chunks as bait. Waves were very flat. Fish caught 8-10am High tide was just after 10am.

Total blast for my sons! (and me too!)

image1 (1).JPG
 Description:
Image 1
 Filesize:  74.79 KB
 Viewed:  1115 Time(s)

image1 (1).JPG

image3.JPG
 Description:
Image 3
 Filesize:  81.33 KB
 Viewed:  1115 Time(s)