pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Pacific pier question [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:21 pm
ING

Guys, anybody has an idea how high Pacific pier? I mean average or maximum distance to water.
I understand that is depending from tide.
Thanks
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:41 am
RobF

From the photo on wikipedia, I estimate the height from the water to the top of the rail is 20-25'.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:00 pm
ING

RobF wrote:
From the photo on wikipedia, I estimate the height from the water to the top of the rail is 20-25'.

Thank you very much! I've made long telescopic gaff about 19'. Probably it is not enough.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:33 pm
red fish

ING wrote:
Guys, anybody has an idea how high Pacific pier? I mean average or maximum distance to water.
I understand that is depending from tide.
Thanks

This is true, depending on the tide. From sources, the depth of the water varies 30-50'. I figure it is 2x that from the bottom of the ocean floor to the top of the pier concrete floor at the end (being a slightly shorter distance to the water before the raised end portion). http://foundfruit.blogspot.com/2010/11/dungeoness-crab-fishing-pacifica-pier.html?m=1
I never bothered to measure the distance when I used to frequent the pier in the early 90's but it was a minimum 2-stories (30') down to the top of the water from the pier at the end and many would say (50'). Reguardless, I would of bring 100' of rope if I wanted to crab with a crab ring or 50' of rope if I wanted to land fish with it (from the end).

Crab-ring or treble-gaff are the more commonly used landing devices for big fish on Pacifica Pier.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: