pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Larger stripers running on Ocean Beach recently [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:42 pm
sea_forager

Just a heads up that I've been walking the length of OB from Judah to Sloat regularly in the afternoon and this week there has consistently been 3-4 people with large stripers on the stringer; just saw one 30 minutes ago that looked to be 34~36" and fat. All the other ones looked to be north of 28".

These are being caught around Pacheco as well as the glut of fishermen bunched up around Taraval. No action near that nice hole at Noriega, though I've been pulling in a lot of dungies around there when the swell is cooperating.

Anecdotally, other guys are telling me that plugging OB is more productive for them on the evening bite, but as far as these afternoon catches are concerned it seems they're all being caught on bait. Don't know what kind but with the amount of small nets I'm seeing I imagine sand crabs.

Still have yet to pull in my first legal striper this year but seeing the consistency of larger catches along Ocean Beach the past couple weeks makes me happy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:36 pm
simplycook

Was over it that area on Tuesday and saw a few stripers landed just south of the zoo as well.

Most of the fish seem to all be as you said... over 28".
Hoping to get out there again next week when the temps warm up a little.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 pm
uglystick

Great! Thanks for the info!

Good luck out there Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 pm
Trumbo

That's good news. Usually the stripper runs are hush hush. Good luck
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:35 pm
pinoyfisherman

Thanks for the report!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:11 am
sea_forager

Nothing but schoolies for me personally but people were still pulling them in throughout the weekend. The wind has been something awful and so I only saw a few brave souls throwing lures and swimbaits once Noon rolled around and the wind kicked in, but everybody pulling in anything (that I saw) was doing it on bait which makes sense considering you can throw heavy and cut through the wind.

Hats off to the two gentlemen next to me at the hole @ Pacheco that patiently soaked bait for hours, occasionally swapping in fresher bait, and were rewarded with a beautiful striper towards the top of the tide. I personally need to be a bit more active which is probably why a) I didn't catch any fish that day haha and b) I ended up just stalking the shallows and pulling up dungies that were in close. Still went home with 7 keepers so I was satisfied.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:48 am
matt

In all my years of living and fishing the Bay Area, I only hit OB once, with zero success. Anyone know if this action is still going on, and if so, what would be the best hole to start at? I'm thinking of making a trip down there this Saturday in an effort to find some Stripers and Dungeness crabs.... Thanks guys/gals!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:11 pm
sea_forager

matt wrote:
In all my years of living and fishing the Bay Area, I only hit OB once, with zero success. Anyone know if this action is still going on, and if so, what would be the best hole to start at? I'm thinking of making a trip down there this Saturday in an effort to find some Stripers and Dungeness crabs.... Thanks guys/gals!

Action is certainly still going on and will likely only continue as each week I see more larger stripers pulled out along OB, not less. I walk the stretch from Judah - Taraval almost daily during the week (I work right next to it), so high tide, low tide, mid-incoming, etc.. I've seen a few people pull out keepers. All of them have been on bait-- probably softshells-- and even with the swell down in the 4-5ft range at times, seems most people are throwing 8 as that's the only thing holding bottom due to the strong current. You could probably throw a little lighter if you used a sputnik, but most of the people I've talked to throwing pyramid sinkers are throwing 8oz.

As for spots, I walked today at peak low tide (0.2ft) and there's a load of newer holes and structure between Noriega and Pacheco that are really close to shore. I'd say if you're fishing incoming or close to high tide around there, you'd only have to cast maybe 20-30ft from shore to be right in that trough. Behind it is very flat sandbar so if you're wanting to cast past the bar into deeper water you're looking at a 100ft cast.

The hole at Pacheco [map]-- actually it was more aptly described to me today buy a guy down there as a "large bowl"-- is probably the deepest and most significant structure in terms of ease of access on the entire stretch of OB from the far north end down to Sloat. If you want a place that will have reliable depth to soak bait at any point in the tide, it'll be there. Which also means to expect a few other people there as well, to say nothing of the throngs of people hitting the beach this weekend for what is to be a warm, sunny day with moderate wind in the afternoon.

If you want to plug, then you've got more options to cast into the surf, but most of the success I've heard of on bucktails and lures (SPs) has been from Taraval southward, and on the higher end of an incoming tide, which this weekend would be from 3:30/4PM onward.

Dungies you can really grab anywhere along the beach. That highway of troughs from Noriega to Pacheco, and past it towards Santiago has been pretty successful for both myself as well as other people here on the board, but honestly if the swell is between 3-5ft and wind isn't howling, any depth of water at knee-height to upper thigh is fair game. Just take is slow out there, walk parallel to shore, pausing when the wave set clouds up the water, then continuing when it clears. If you're wearing waders with boots then you can lightly step on a crab you've spotted to keep it from moving until the water calms down enough to pick it up (hats off to therealhobos for that clever tip). You may have to cover a lot of ground at first, but when you find one you'll likely find a few more in the immediate area.

One last thing, if you're coming out tomorrow (Saturday, 6/17) be advised to stay away from the north end of the beach (Lincoln to Fulton) morning till early afternoon; NorCal Corgi-Con is having their annual event over at that part of the beach and if you thought trying to keep a few unleashed dogs from peeing on your spike or bucket was annoying, try 800 corgis.

Come out and enjoy the beautiful weather and hopefully some solid fishing! Tight lines~

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:27 pm
matt

Sounds really solid, thanks so much for the detailed guide SeaForager, I appreciate it. I may make it down to OB next weekend if I can't get a good ride on a party boat for lings or hali's. I will be sure to let you know how I do if I make it down though.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:06 pm
argetni

what oz bucktail are you guys using?
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:47 pm
sea_forager

Was out there again from 9:30-2:30 at the far north end. Dungies didn't start showing up until the tide turned (to incoming) at 11:30 or so, but I managed to grab 4 keepers before the incoming tide and larger swells (definitely 6ft+) started dunking me regularly.

Two OG anglers flanked my spot around 10am and fished it till the tide turned. Both went home with their striper limit. One was fishing hi/lo with a sputnik, the other a fishfinder with a pyramid, but both were fishing the same bait. I couldn't get a close enough look but they looked like sandeels... but they can't be, right? I don't know any place where I can source them locally. The bait was small (~6") and long/slender like a sandeel but was probably a common baitfish that I'm just not recognizing.

argetni wrote:
what oz bucktail are you guys using?

Personally I through the lightest I can and still cut through the wind; typically 3/4oz-1oz. The problem is that onshore winds have been annoyingly strong in the afternoon and evening, so unless you're going earlier in the morning when the wind is a bit weaker, you almost have to throw 1.5oz and that is just real heavy for a flat and shallow beach like OB.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:53 pm
pinfish

useless casting lures there if there's a lot of baitnwait people around the holes
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:06 pm
sea_forager

pinfish wrote:
useless casting lures there if there's a lot of baitnwait people around the holes

Totally. Which is why the people throwing lures are moving along the stretches between Pacheco & Sloat. I will say that due to digging that's been done along the shore between Lincoln and Juadh (?) there is a sizable deep trough running that length and I hardly see people putting bait down there likely due to it being on the north end and more inundated with crowds of people. Still, at peak low that thing is deep. I imagine on an incoming tide you can get some decent action plugging there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:51 pm
suresh0ts

Probably fished a total of 72 hours in the month of June with no fish to show for the effort. Been using bucktail, SP minnow, surface poppers and sand crab. No luck at all along ocean beach from Pacheco all the way to Fort Funston. Pretty tough fishing conditions this year. I've noticed the water is a bit more on the murky side with less than 6 inch of visibility for the past several weeks. That would probably affect the lure's visibility. Fishing has been tough this year.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:37 pm
iCatch_uCook

Ive been to this beach a lot, just walking and such, but im Just wondering, how far can you guys cast out? past the waves or just into them? I had a shoulder injury and i just cant cast that far Sad
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: