pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Benicia First Steet 6/22, 6/25 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:18 pm
qchris87

Been a while since I posted anything, let alone go fishing since the weather and swells in Humboldt County have been horrible.

It's always exciting heading back home to the Bay Area because it always means Striper fishing. Wasn't the greatest time to come visit. First few days and it's over 100 degrees.

6/22

Started the morning at 7:30 AM. Woke up the gf for her first time fishing for Stripers. Probably the most excited she's been to go fishing in a while. Stopped by Benicia Bait & Tackle. Was too early for grabbing live grass shrimp or pile worms so ended up with a bag of frozen chovies. People were already at 9th street so we ended going to First street.

First two hours with no bites, walked home to eat breakfast then headed back out at 10 AM. First and only bite was at around 10:45 AM. The rod in the drilled pole holder doubled over and I'm jumping out of the seat to grab the rod. Turns out the gf beats me to it, sets the hook and brings it in within 5-6 minutes. Had to run to the car and grab the crab net to bring it up.

Her first Striper ended up being 21 inches

6/25

Hit up First Street at around 1 PM with the same bag of chovies from last Thursday. Sat around for 4 hours for one bite but ended up being a 19.5 incher. Somehow she always catches a bigger fish.

Conditions: Both days were over 14 mph winds. Regardless of how hot it was, I was wearing a sweatshirt. Visibility was about half an inch. The water was a brown, muddy color and choppy.

Gear:
Hurricane Mako Medium-heavy rod
25 lb. mono
Carolina Rig
3 oz pyramid
3/0 octopus
6 in. 20 lb leader

Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:00 am
Ken Jones

Nice! And especially great to get a report from that area.

Keep 'em coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:18 am
Fishmom1

That's a good start to a striper career!
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: