pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> East Bay Bite - Redemption [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 pm
red fish

Redemption or "Red" demption if you will!

Father's Day - the weather is what I have always called "halibut weather" at Berkeley Pier.

I started the day off fishing at about 10am when it was said and done and exited the water at 7p in time for Dad's day supper with my pops.
I started off the day hanging frozen-chovy pops until the tide moved enough to acquire a few jacksmelt.

A plain-ol Carolina-rig with one ounce of weight on a modified, what I call the modified Slinger-stinger "Gerry-rigged."

I started out with a thornback ray, and from then on, it was straight halibut. I caught/landed (5) halibut that ran at 19" and lost (1) to the net that shook the hook at my estimation of low 30's (that water was still, green, and very clear yesterday.)
(only saw someone else in the approximation of where I fished go home with a 38" leopard).

Today, I sought a little redemption, but surprisingly, the conditions were different one day later (a slight breeze). I started out later too, about noon. The bite was way off, bait was hard to acquire. I barely got an American shad, and a couple jacksmelt to compliment the bag-bait anchovies I purchased.

Set up the same rigs - but nothing for hours. Of course, in the time I am getting ready to throw in all the cards, and others are already leaving, fish happen.

I first get a halibut of 20 inches on my sabiki rig (as bait had died) on 6# mono and land it! As I am releasing this fish, a guy next to me says "Your rod was pulling down and the clicking thing was sounding!." I reply, "If it is, I will wait for it to load up a little more." I go to the rod, give it a little upward jerk (as is not moving but bent down a taste) and up comes the 24" hallie pictured below. I packed up and left knowing that I had redemption for yesterday! About 5p.
(didn't see anyone else roll with anything for the time I was there)

Gear: Baitcasters with 15# mono/25# leader and steelhead rods of 8'6"

This one1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.63 KB
 Viewed:  1287 Time(s)

This one1.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:59 pm
simplycook

Great job Red!
I'm still at 0 halibut this summer but my friends have been catching them left and right!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:45 am
Salty Nick v2

Nice going, Red! Redemption is sweet, or is that revenge?

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:37 pm
skyhook

Love your report! And nice to see a halibut pic on the board..
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: