pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> East Bay Bite [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:55 pm
red fish

Fished today 11-4 with a group of 11 youngsters 9-11 with a kids' fishing program. I guided the spirited youth in all aspects of pier fishing technique and bait prior to our commencing to fish. Most were novices (other than a few previous trips with fishing programs) so we reviewed all the fundamentals of angling with a great amount of emphasis placed on safety. Approximately 20 rods were set up for them with dropper-loops and size 12 bait holder hooks on most and others with size 1 hooks, red plastic slydos for "fish-finder rigs." Some of the combos were very nice with Penn Spinfisher 550's and 7' UglyStiks.
The kids were staged in their own section as to not be too intrusive on the other anglers present. The fishing was anything but stellar and catching wasn't so great (even for anglers fishing there not in our group).
The kids did manage a few smelt on the small, chopped up market shrimp we provided but only a a couple kids were successful today. Matter of fact, I only saw less than a half dozen come over the rail for the rest of the people present.
It was rough and tumble the whole way but I assisted a couple other youth anglers with getting walleyed perch ( quickly released and out of season). Another kid caught a shiner perch.
I was able to catch a brown rockfish/ walleye. I caught a couple American shad that I turned into live bait that I caught a California halibut of 18" on to the pleasure of the beginning fishermen. Slow, but the kids were able to see a variety of species, learn something about the local catch, how to safely handle them and safely release fish.
The kids also did a small shoreline cleanup and hike.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:22 pm
kchoo

Awesome that you did this with kids! My kids are starting to get a little older now and I want to fish with them. Which pier was this at? I live in the East Bay. Any other piers you would recommend for children? Thanks!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:59 am
Mahigeer

Well done Robert.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:07 am
red fish

kchoo wrote:
Awesome that you did this with kids! My kids are starting to get a little older now and I want to fish with them. Which pier was this at? I live in the East Bay. Any other piers you would recommend for children? Thanks!

Portview Park Pier, Oakland on incoming for smelt is good for kids. (bring a backpack or cart as there is a 1/4 mile walk). Clean, pier with rod-holders, cleaning station with running water, porta-poddy, secure/cameras. Float rig, three hooks, market shrimp, anchovy, pileworm, Gulp earthworms, or squid strips, tentacles, size 12 to 6 hooks.

Fortman Marina Pier, Alameda for batray - tiny pier in back of yacht marina that is a public dock. Nice area to get out of the wind on windy days of even 20 mph. Quiet, secure, and you are 15 steps from your car door. Squid or anchovy on a sliding rig.

Point Pinole Pier, but it is 2 miles from the parking lot, so it is either the tram from 7-3, bike, or walk. Striper, smelt, batray on cut-bait of anchovies or sardines, market shrimp, squid on hi/low or sliding rigs.

These are the piers I can recommend for a quiet time with your kids. There are other piers, but they tend to have graffiti, wacky tobacco, cursing adults, no running water on the pier, no seating, too small, trashy, and sometimes smell of urine in the corners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:10 am
red fish

red fish wrote:
kchoo wrote:

Portview Park Pier, Oakland on incoming for smelt is good for kids. (bring a backpack or cart as there is a 1/4 mile walk). Clean, pier with rod-holders, cleaning station with running water, porta-poddy, secure/cameras. Float rig, three hooks, market shrimp, anchovy, pileworm, Gulp earthworms, or squid strips, tentacles, size 12 to 6 hooks.

Fortman Marina Pier, Alameda for batray - tiny pier in back of yacht marina that is a public dock. Nice area to get out of the wind on windy days of even 20 mph. Quiet, secure, and you are 15 steps from your car door. Squid or anchovy on a sliding rig.

Point Pinole Pier, but it is 2 miles from the parking lot, so it is either the tram from 7-3, bike, or walk. Striper, smelt, batray on cut-bait of anchovies or sardines, market shrimp, squid on hi/low or sliding rigs.

These are the piers I can recommend for a quiet time with your kids. There are other piers, but they tend to have graffiti, wacky tobacco, cursing adults, no running water on the pier, no seating, too small, trashy, and sometimes smell of urine in the corners.

Another gem is San Antonio Pier, Oakland behind the 6 Motel. Batray, smelt, shiner (mackerel during El Nino years). 30 steps from the
car. Running water/cleaning station, mostly quiet, small, quaint, end of pier best towards boats. Bathrooms in Motel 6, Emabassy Suites, or west down the block at Starbucks.

I would be remiss if I did not mention Emeryville Marina Pier (end of Powell Street and back of sportfishing marina). Relatively small pier, but there is room. Go to the end for the best bite. Early morning or end of evening best and the more tidal movement the better. Batray, smelt, striper bring your own folding chair or bucket to sit on. only seating at very beginning, middle, and end and only a couple can sit there. Cleaning table with running water, bathrooms at parking lot area that are pretty clean. The influx of people living-aboard at the marina tends to crowd the parking lot with their extra vehicles that seldom move.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:40 pm
kchoo

Awesome wealth of info! I really appreciate it. I would never know about these piers otherwise. Thanks!
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:44 pm
peder

Thanks for this great info!

Do you have any East Bay shore spots (not piers) you would recommend for kids?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:46 pm
Trumbo

In the warmer months the far South Bay around Hayward and dumbarton becomes infested with sharks and rays of all sizes. It'll keep the kids busy.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:22 pm
red fish

peder wrote:
Thanks for this great info!

Do you have any East Bay shore spots (not piers) you would recommend for kids?

Crab Cove - Alameda
Boat Center - High St., Oakland

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: