pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Crystal Pier [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 pm
sd fisherman

Didnt actually fish today but took a walk on the pier before heading off to work. Conditions looked solid all around, especially inshore. Only a few people fishing at the end. As I get out there theres a crowd around a guy hooked up to something big. I hear rumblings that its a big black sea bass, and as it comes closer I see that it is. The guy's friend grabs a pier gaff at which point I walk away and attempt to call cal-tip. Absolutely nobody answers, what a joke.

They knew what it was and exhausted it to the point of it going belly up for about 10 minutes til it got its sea legs back and swam off, rather than cut the line earlier. But to their credit they did cut the line eventually. I would estimate it to be about 75 lb

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.33 KB
 Viewed:  2050 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:56 pm
sd fisherman

During the fight

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.65 KB
 Viewed:  2048 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Top of page
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:35 pm
Ken Jones

Good they cut the line but stupid to fight it until exhaustion. There's a guy who is poaching giant sea bass at the Cabrillo Mole recently but so far the Fish and Wildlife hasn't been around when he shows up.
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:18 pm
tackleholic

Ken Jones wrote:
Good they cut the line but stupid to fight it until exhaustion. There's a guy who is poaching giant sea bass at the Cabrillo Mole recently but so far the Fish and Wildlife hasn't been around when he shows up.

Hope they get the Mole poacher...thats just wrong. I've seen 100-150 lb blacks hooked and fought on 20-30 lb test by boat anglers at the island...the fish is belly up after a long prolonged fight...then its mouth gaffed by 2 or more gaffs by an angler who wants to take a picture, then released to go belly up. They might survive as they often right themselves after a while if they werent brought up from too deep...or might not. I've also seen deckhands do the needle in the side to deflate the bladder so it can go down...but that just opens up a wound that may lead to infection and a slow death for the seabass. I hooked one 2 years ago on a boat trip on 30 lb...fought it for a little while and realized it was a big black by the distinctive fight so I just buttoned down the drag and broke him off early. With all these accidental pier hookings of fish that should be released like baby GW shark, blacks, even big bat ray that would be damaging to net and lift or pier gaff...it might be time to devise something that could be run down the line and help break the fish off closer to the hook so the fish isnt trailing a long leader while the hook rusts out. Maybe a 2 lb weight attached to a coastlock swivel with some abrasive coating epoxied around the wire of the snap...then with the attaching cord...one could run it up and down the line closer to the fishs mouth until the leader abraids and breaks. The device could then be retrieved with the cord to be used again and might prevent stupid handling of a large fish that shouldnt be lifted out of the water only to be released and die later. Just thinking out loud...

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:50 pm
VeeZee Spinner

Snitches get stitches
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:13 pm
sd fisherman

Yo Veezee, might be a bad idea to approach a CCW holder on a pier. Just sayin...
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:33 pm
Mahigeer

Post segment from 11/22/2106 trip to Catalina Mole.

There was an angler who was on the same boat as me that had heavy duty setup. He told me that he was targeting black sea bass. He knew it was illegal to keep, yet he was targeting them.
He hooked and brought one to the rocks. Using a gaff to hook his mouth he brought fish close enough to remove the hook and released the fish.
By this time the fish was exhausted and floating belly side up.

2-The angler landed this monster and then released it. It was not doing too well and it was not able to turn itself.

3-A Good Samaritan local was at Mole witnessing the release of the fish and not being able to turn itself, took the boat and grabbed its tail and turned it right side up.

The fish did a powerful kick and swam away.

The angler continued fishing for them all day. Only one was “landed”. Next day I had to clean after him the trash that he had left and filthy cutting board.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 7:43 am
red fish

VeeZee Spinner wrote:
Snitches get stitches
Vee Zee, are you telling us you got stiches before for turning in a dirtbag poacher?! I admire you taking the hit to preserve our fish stocks, WTG. Good for you to not be intimidated by any slimeballs and doing the right thing. That is what Ken and all of us here do at PFIC as part of our Ethical Angling Pledge!
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:59 pm
Ken Jones

It's not always easy being right.
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:50 pm
sd fisherman

Just took a walk on the beach in PB and found this about 100yd away from Crystal Pier... This is why you cut the f'ing line once you know it's a BSB... SMDH

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  89.43 KB
 Viewed:  1680 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 8:36 pm
Azarkon

Most people don't see the value of conserving these fish. They'd rather have their tackle, so they'll do what is necessary to save their tackle, as opposed to saving the fish.

I personally don't think they'll ever open BSB to fishing again, because they grow too slow to sustain any kind of pressure. Yet, I still think there are important benefits to making sure there's a healthy population of BSB left, especially with respect to opening more of the ocean back up to fishing, since one of the main arguments for closed areas is to protect species like these.

But until better education happens about the benefits of saving them, I doubt it'll change.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: