pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Marin surf [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:36 am
charro

Took Friday off, since it was the only day that looked like decent conditions and that I had time to fish. High tide was forecast for around 2:30 pm, and I got to wetting a line with grubbing gear around 1 pm, after some fumbling around to make up for gear I failed to pack.
The wind was stronger than forecast, a good 15 mph from the N-NW with some good gusts. And, the surf was like a washing machine on agitate, water flowing in from every direction. The waves were not huge but with all the agitation it was hard to hold bottom. It was frustrating at first, and I almost decided to stop and wait for better conditions, but I fish when I can and this was it.
Finally got some action, with a solid strike and hook up after a few failed attempts. This fish was big and strong but soon enough I landed a 13" red tail, dinner! After that, I caught and released a few 8-10" BSP, and a feisty 16" striper, followed by the skinniest smelt I have ever caught. And, I have never caught smelt on that beach, so that was different. Wrapped the day up around 4 pm, and as I was stowing my gear in my trunk ran into a guy who was just getting to the beach, and after he asked how I did I notice the big fly fishing outfit he was setting up; pretty bold, given the conditions, I mentioned to him, to which he responded "that's all I got". True fisherman.
All in all a good day with some trying conditions, for a total of 7 fish: 1 red tail perch, 4 BSPs, one skinny smelt, and one striper. And, FYI, while cleaning the fish, the red tail had a sack full of little ones in her. When I landed the fish she did not appear pregnant, and I always release visibly pregnant females, so I kept the fish. Will be catch and release for a while.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 pm
uglystick

I notice some of the big BSP caught have some red stuff leaking from the butt. Initially I double it was related to pregnancy, but I did not see anything inside. Actually, I have no idea if it's a male or female Smile

Is it common to catch strippers with a grub setup? I always want to get one with my perch setup, but I have never been that lucky.

charro wrote:
Took Friday off, since it was the only day that looked like decent conditions and that I had time to fish. High tide was forecast for around 2:30 pm, and I got to wetting a line with grubbing gear around 1 pm, after some fumbling around to make up for gear I failed to pack.
The wind was stronger than forecast, a good 15 mph from the N-NW with some good gusts. And, the surf was like a washing machine on agitate, water flowing in from every direction. The waves were not huge but with all the agitation it was hard to hold bottom. It was frustrating at first, and I almost decided to stop and wait for better conditions, but I fish when I can and this was it.
Finally got some action, with a solid strike and hook up after a few failed attempts. This fish was big and strong but soon enough I landed a 13" red tail, dinner! After that, I caught and released a few 8-10" BSP, and a feisty 16" striper, followed by the skinniest smelt I have ever caught. And, I have never caught smelt on that beach, so that was different. Wrapped the day up around 4 pm, and as I was stowing my gear in my trunk ran into a guy who was just getting to the beach, and after he asked how I did I notice the big fly fishing outfit he was setting up; pretty bold, given the conditions, I mentioned to him, to which he responded "that's all I got". True fisherman.
All in all a good day with some trying conditions, for a total of 7 fish: 1 red tail perch, 4 BSPs, one skinny smelt, and one striper. And, FYI, while cleaning the fish, the red tail had a sack full of little ones in her. When I landed the fish she did not appear pregnant, and I always release visibly pregnant females, so I kept the fish. Will be catch and release for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:40 pm
Eekamouse!

I went out on Sat to my goto Marin beach. Magic Seaweed said that there would be only 3 ft swells which was complete baloney! Like you, I had a hard time keeping my line down, even with 2 oz of egg sinker. I used Big Hammer perch grubs on the end of a Carolina Rig, and also put a Gulp Sandworm at the top on my snap swivel. Had to walk far away from the crowds and cast far and reel in fast with short pauses to get bites. Interestingly, on the Sandworm I only got 6 dinks, but managed two keepers on the grub, a fat 14.5 incher and a 12 incher. Based on past experience, I am convinced that in rough water the big perch tend to go for lures that display movement and action, as opposed to some lifeless floating worm.

It was hard work, but getting two keepers in four hours was nice. The bad part of fishing on Sat is that the beach was filled with Googans. I'm talking about folks setting up 4 poles and keeping all the dinks, even after reminding them nicely that they should try to measure them. These guys were even harvesting all the wild brassica growing next to the trail for their rabbits. Its sad, but some folks just seem to view Mother Nature as a free supermarket.

red tail 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  27.64 KB
 Viewed:  914 Time(s)

red tail 1.jpg

red tail 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.68 KB
 Viewed:  914 Time(s)

red tail 2.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:28 pm
uglystick

I wonder if "reel in fast with short puases" + "sandworm" would yield similar result? The sandworm also has a tail to swing a bit, right?

Eekamouse! wrote:
I used Big Hammer perch grubs on the end of a Carolina Rig, and also put a Gulp Sandworm at the top on my snap swivel. Had to walk far away from the crowds and cast far and reel in fast with short pauses to get bites. Interestingly, on the Sandworm I only got 6 dinks, but managed two keepers on the grub, a fat 14.5 incher and a 12 incher. Based on past experience, I am convinced that in rough water the big perch tend to go for lures that display movement and action, as opposed to some lifeless floating worm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:34 pm
Eekamouse!

uglystick wrote:
I wonder if "reel in fast with short puases" + "sandworm" would yield similar result? The sandworm also has a tail to swing a bit, right?

Eekamouse! wrote:
I used Big Hammer perch grubs on the end of a Carolina Rig, and also put a Gulp Sandworm at the top on my snap swivel. Had to walk far away from the crowds and cast far and reel in fast with short pauses to get bites. Interestingly, on the Sandworm I only got 6 dinks, but managed two keepers on the grub, a fat 14.5 incher and a 12 incher. Based on past experience, I am convinced that in rough water the big perch tend to go for lures that display movement and action, as opposed to some lifeless floating worm.

No tail on the sandworm I was using, so I doubt it swings very much. It probably just floats around and only moves when it hits the sand. Hard to believe perch go for it, but they do. I think the hubcaps tend to go for things that do flashy displays, like curly tail grubs, SP minnows etc...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 am
charro

Answer to Uglystick's query re stripers: No, not common at all to catch stripers while grubbing for perch. But, I have caught a few stripers while grubbing, maybe a dozen, with three being keepers, over the course of 15 years of surf fishing.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 am
charro

Answer to Uglystick's query re stripers: No, not common at all to catch stripers while grubbing for perch. But, I have caught a few stripers while grubbing, maybe a dozen, with three being keepers, over the course of 15 years of surf fishing.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: