pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Port Hueneme Pier, 4/11/2017 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:24 pm
CatchinKelp

Time: 4/11/2017. 6:00 9:00 PM. Sunset at 7:25 PM. 99% waning gibbous moonrise at about 9:00 PM.

Tide: 1.5 feet @ 6:00 PM 4.6 feet @ 9:00 PM.

Weather: Blustery west winds, about 20 kts. 60 F. Scattered high clouds.

Water: choppy, 5 foot swells. 56 Fahrenheit. Dark blue.

Went down to Ventura area on auto repair mission (girlfriend's car has a leaking head gasket) and we took the time to see if we could catch some spider crabs (Loxorhynchus grandis) to celebrate the premier of Season XIII of Deadliest Catch. Plopped two nets at 6:00 PM - one deep and one shallow - with a mix of chicken, squid, and chopped mackerel in each. We fished one rod on the bottom with 3-hook circle hook rig (small, size 4) with squid and I tried a sabiki cast and retrieve, baited with squid. Fishing close to the fish cleaning station at the end. Action is slow. I didn't catch anything on the sabiki (and other fisherfolk weren't on theirs, either) but at about 8:00 PM, we relocated shallower, just past the breakers, and there was a school of jack smelt in the 10" 14" range. My GF caught a couple, so it looks like she outfished me, even if it's just bait for late. About crabs, we kept catching scores of small yellow rock crabs but no keepers. No spider crabs this outing. There was a food truck festival going on in the parking lot, which is nice to see this area getting some festivities going.

I guess I just felt like Port Hueneme hadn't had a report in a long time, so here ya go. Tight lines to all.

IMG_3575.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.31 KB
 Viewed:  797 Time(s)

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3571.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.2 KB
 Viewed:  797 Time(s)

IMG_3571.JPG

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:09 am
Ken Jones

Thanks for the report from that pier. We rarely hear what's going on out there.
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: