Low Tide: 6:30AM / 0.0ft
High Tide: 12:51PM / 5.5ft
Low Tide: 6:30PM / 0.8ft
Strong current/coefficient
Swell 8ft
Wind: Avg. 20-25mph WNW onshore terribleness

Area: Ocean Beach [SF], Stairwell #21

Bait: Sandcrabs

No need to go into the setup since I didn't catch anything i could keep unfortunately. The swell itself wasn't real bad, but combined with that strong onshore wind all throughout the day and a strong current, made for some exhausting surf fishing. I also feel like the structure around that hole by #21 has got to have changed significantly since early last week because it just seemed flatter than I remember; I'll need to check it out next week on a mid-day minus tide to see if things are that different.

Here's the only fun part of this report: from approximately 9:30-10:30AM I was tearing into a bunch of schoolie stripers. Every other cast was a hookup immediately upon hitting the water; hardshell sandcrabs with the side shell torn off as bait. None were big enough to keep and most were in the 12" range but one was just north of 15". Still, it was real fun and got me super excited for when they finally start their run out their at OB. Think I'll check out the south portion of OB on Friday since it seems like the nasty onshore wind will finally take a breather.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:51 pm
pinoyfisherman

Thanks for the report, good to know the strippers are starting to show up in the ocean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:24 pm
sea_forager

Fished the hole at Sloat, south end of OB, from low till 2PM. Only managed to pull in 4 more schoolies all around 15" but nothing else. Neither perch nor jacksmelt were biting on anything I threw out there, if they were around at all. Too bad too because that section of OB was thick with softshell sandcrabs; ironically, all the stripers hit on 2" gulp sandworms, natural color. Never hooked them on scented plastic before so that was fun.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:47 pm
FishingRonin

We're getting into April, so get use to it for at least mid May.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: