pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Introduction and report [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:34 pm
buckfisher

Hello All

Long time lurker, first time poster. I live a bit east of Chico and try to make a coast fishing trip a few times each year to bag some rockfish or perch. I made the trip to fort brag this past weekend. I usually camp farther north but the predicted rain kept me out of a tent. It turns out the rain did not materialize but we had a nice weekend anyway in a cottage. I fished Noyo harbor saturday for most of the day. Actually, I got a late start around 10. I tried poke poling for an hour , I got two taps but nothing serious. I had my heart set on something bigger anyway so I went out to the end of the jetty and threw a swim bait. No takers. But a family of 3 generations were doing well on the striped perch on shrimp bits. The grandpa was doing best numbers wise and his grin was huge. The youngster, (13 ish ) got the big fish, a greeenling maybe 16 inches. The dad was soaking big squid for bigger fish but he got skunked. I finally took a break from the swim bait and fished a small rod and bagged a perch just to shake off my skunk. Then I went back to plastics. I called it a day a little after 4 and decided to do a scouting trip to find a better spot for sunday morning. I drove down the coast as far as Russian Gulch, hiked in a few spots but none really grabbed me. So I decided that occasionally its ok just to relax and not fish 24/7 lol. I did have a good time and will be back.
Take care all and good luck
jim
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 pm
FireRidge

next time hit me up!
russian gulch is my go to on stormy days.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:56 pm
buckfisher

Thank You FR
I will buy the bait and access fee. As mentioned, I normally fish farther north, Humboldt jetties, both north and south and other spots near the north end of the lost coast. About a decade ago I camped at Navarro and got some nice blacks, a ling and off the beach a LARGE skate. It was almost 4 feet wing to wing. I did not know what it was so I released it. It was sure fun landing it on my perch rod thought.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:02 pm
sea_forager

buckfisher wrote:
About a decade ago I camped at Navarro and got some nice blacks, a ling and off the beach a LARGE skate. It was almost 4 feet wing to wing. I did not know what it was so I released it. It was sure fun landing it on my perch rod thought.

Oh man, next time you land a nice one in those cleaner coastal waters, filet those wings and cook'em up at home! Skate/Ray is pretty fantastic.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: