pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Mexican Striped Bass? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 am
spicytuna

I read about a bite from from Cabo to Mazatlan. Many released.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 pm
polishfromthedeep

Heard plenty of great reports here on the cen/so-cal border last few years. Yet to get into them myself.

In Mexico though??? Epic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:34 pm
tackleholic

I heard the strippers in Mexico are biting well on greenbacks slowtrolled down the main channels. There's also a,good topwater bite going on and anyone who can whip a big popper into the midst of large marauding schools of strippers are getting hit on. For fly anglers, the southern strippers are hitting well on the old standby, a Spanish Fly ahead of tequila or Mescal teasers. The action has been so steady that already some Pangueros are starting to cash in and offer combo trips just like up north...offering combo Stripper/crab fishing trips...but unlike US combo trips..they guarantee limits of both strippers and crabs with every full fare.

All kidding aside..Maybe this has something to do with it...
http://pacificoaquaculture.com

Apparently they're farming stripers in tuna-pen style pens off todos santos, ensenada. Wasnt even aware of that...but it doesn't portend well for the baitfish population. But Cabo and Matzatlan is quite a bit further south than Ensenada with much warmer water. Just curious where you read about those reports of Stripers getting caught in Mexico?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:55 am
spicytuna

tackleholic wrote:

Apparently they're farming stripers in tuna-pen style pens off todos santos, ensenada. Wasnt even aware of that...

On my daily menu from the fish company, there is a new option lately for MX ocean farmed stripers @ $8.50 / lb. instead of the usual brackish water Texas farmed wiper hybrids @ $4.99 / lb.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:30 pm
FishingRonin

Has anyone alerted the Trump administration about these Mexican striper fish? Its a matter of national security!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:37 pm
Trumbo

Obama granted the mittencrab asylum.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am
Ken Jones

Called lubina estriada in Mexico.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm
makairaa

Pretty sure you misunderstood the report. The report probably said they were catching stripers in cabo. A striper in cabo is a striped marlin not a striped bass.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 pm
Ken Jones

makairaa wrote:
Pretty sure you misunderstood the report. The report probably said they were catching stripers in cabo. A striper in cabo is a striped marlin not a striped bass.

That actually makes a lot more sense although I guess if they are raising them by Ensenadsa some could escape. However, hard to see them reaching the Gulf of California (Sea of Cortez).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:53 pm
spicytuna

makairaa wrote:

You're right, Makairaa. So much for wishful thinking. Although the idea of a striper outbreak in Mexico is kinda funny.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:06 pm
makairaa

spicytuna wrote:
makairaa wrote:

You're right, Makairaa. So much for wishful thinking. Although the idea of a striper outbreak in Mexico is kinda funny.

I am still holding out hope that the cobia that were accidentally released off central america reproduce and take hold. The tarpon that have swam through the panama canal would also be nice. DFW's worst nightmare, but I can hope.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:21 pm
Ken Jones

It would be nice to hook a cobia but the chances are slim and slimmer.
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: