pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Hurray! [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:15 pm
ING

RobF wrote:
"...water is for fighting"

There will always be a deficiency in water in this state, no matter how full the reservoirs, because of the number of people. If we ever wanted to get serious about addressing the problem, then we should consider methods of reducing the population.

But we cling to the fallacy of infinite growth when the evidence clearly shows finite resources. China had at least one good idea, so I propose "The California one child per family act of 2017".

Rob

Much better to built more reservoirs instead of crying "Drought!!!, Drought!!!..."
and rise every time prices on water. Where that money are going? I don't see any results. Every year with lower level of rains again:"Drought!!!, Drought!!!..." and prices rising again... At now, when a lot of water around, it just dumping away instead of storing...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:52 pm
hugs86

wow
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 am
RobF

Come on guys, I know it's a radical idea. But I have a ridiculous fantasy that humans would value a thriving natural environment and a more modest human population. From my point of view as a person who likes to hunt and fish, I see an ever expanding human population, and dwindling natural environment. Is it not logical to consider what should be the maximum human population? Seems like we put limits on just about everything else.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:37 pm
ING

RobF wrote:
Come on guys, I know it's a radical idea. But I have a ridiculous fantasy that humans would value a thriving natural environment and a more modest human population. From my point of view as a person who likes to hunt and fish, I see an ever expanding human population, and dwindling natural environment. Is it not logical to consider what should be the maximum human population? Seems like we put limits on just about everything else.

I don't see peaceful solution of problem with growing population. It is very touchy problem because in some cultures it is a question of religion. If it will going like now, I afraid that the wars are inevitable.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:37 pm
bigunindaboat

ING wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:
This report is for both: RESERVOIRS IN NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. A lot of water diverting from Northern to Southern California. By the way: today the Total % Group Average already is 107.13% and trend continue!

The state's largest reservoir is at 78%, second at 69%, but the fourth largest reservoir is only at 31% capacity.

The rain is welcome, but we really need snowpack, and lots more rain. The central sierras need much more precipitation.

You are manipulating by numbers: The state's largest reservoir is at 126% (average), second at 117%. Maximum capacity almost never really possible.
Today it is 81% and 74% doesn't means drought!
Total % Group Average: 110.94% and rain continue. Snow pack also rising.

Wow, more dams are not the answer. They have destroyed our anadromous fisheries by destroying spawning habitat and blocking fish on their spawning runs.

I think you are misinterpreting the "average" it' means for this time of year the historic average of the lakes.

Honestly if you think building more dams is the answer i don't even know why I'm replying to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:41 pm
bigunindaboat

ING wrote:
At now, when a lot of water around, it just dumping away instead of storing...

OH for crying out loud here we go with another "water flowing out to the ocean is wasted" person!

Don't you understand those flows going out to the ocean are a needed, and natural process which keeps watersheds (the delta) healthy?

In turn, making fish stocks healthier. Which results for more fish for us 10%'ers

I guess you don't like catching those salmon in Benecia, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:09 pm
FishingRonin

bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:

OH for crying out loud here we go with another "water flowing out to the ocean is wasted" person!

Don't you understand those flows going out to the ocean are a needed, and natural process which keeps watersheds (the delta) healthy?

In turn, making fish stocks healthier. Which results for more fish for us 10%'ers

California can't maintain and support the Salmon ecosystem anymore. As a species, they are done in CA and the glory days will never come back for Salmon. And you

Oh and another thing...Salmon guys, please, please, please, for the sake of sportfishing, stop taking newbies out Salmon fishing. If you want fishing as a sport/hobby to live on for a long time, please don't take them out to fish for Salmon. You're just going to kill off any interest they have in fishing all together. You won't belive how many guys that hate fishing that I have turned into fish addicts. They all thought fishing was just throwing your line in the water and putz around at 2 knots. Then they go with me and they are pulling up fish every other drop for 10 hours, thats how you show someone new to the sport how to fish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:20 pm
bigunindaboat

FishingRonin wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:

California can't maintain and support the Salmon ecosystem anymore. As a species, they are done in CA and the glory days will never come back for Salmon. And you

Oh and another thing...Salmon guys, please, please, please, for the sake of sportfishing, stop taking newbies out Salmon fishing. If you want fishing as a sport/hobby to live on for a long time, please don't take them out to fish for Salmon. You're just going to kill off any interest they have in fishing all together. You won't belive how many guys that hate fishing that I have turned into fish addicts. They all thought fishing was just throwing your line in the water and putz around at 2 knots. Then they go with me and they are pulling up fish every other drop for 10 hours, thats how you show someone new to the sport how to fish.

ha, your arrogance is laughable. Maybe you should look into becoming a guide if you're such a great teacher!

My glory days are far from over, with any luck I'll be drawing a premium hunt tag this year, my favorite lake is plumb full and teeming with 90k+ 3 year old landlocks, halibut is forecast to be great.

but haters gunna hate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 pm
bigunindaboat

"Then they go with me and they are pulling up fish every other drop for 10 hours, thats how you show someone new to the sport how to fish."

We should really have a section for special folks like this, like, "better than pockets on jeans and sliced bread" sub forum? We really should not be tainting him with our mere, pathetic presence.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 am
slowriprun

the Irish, I am one, suffer from a lack of luck leading to too much drinking, fighting, the 'other' drunken "F" which leads to Catholic love and marriage and so on. We, the Irish, are not collectively genetic retards nor have We gone soft on the brain. Nor did We have a collective obsession for potatoes, leaving millions to starve in a supposed famine. Water and potatoes have more in common than they might seem.

Bigs, ya got shoulders bro, stepping up all the time.

What ya can say about "water" in california is: Ain't no foxes guarding no chicken coop. No chickens left. Nothing left to guard when the hens and the cattle been trained to march off to their own death.

Dams? Too much of the "F" ing so too many people? LA? Global warming? Stripers? Smelt? Really? Then how come water always flows down hill long enough to reach a handful of families in the central valley. For free the water is taken almost without limit or restriction.

Not too worried? "Our" natural resources are safe in the hands of the men and women We pay to safeguard them? Asking and answering questions that are cheered and booed as if they're players, arguing 'this one" or "that one"is the culprit and it feels easy don't it? So damn simple, this 'water' thang, huh?

Solution to the chicken's fate wasn't so difficult either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm
Trumbo

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/non-power-nuclear-applications/industry/nuclear-desalination.aspx
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:19 am
Eekamouse!

[quote="FishingRonin"]
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:

Oh goodness, maybe you should quit driving Uber and become a Salmon fishing guide.

Want to know how to save Salmon in CA? Get people Salmon fishing. Not commercial guys, but recreational folks.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:39 am
Tifoso

bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:
This report is for both: RESERVOIRS IN NORTHERN AND SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. A lot of water diverting from Northern to Southern California. By the way: today the Total % Group Average already is 107.13% and trend continue!

The state's largest reservoir is at 78%, second at 69%, but the fourth largest reservoir is only at 31% capacity.

The rain is welcome, but we really need snowpack, and lots more rain. The central sierras need much more precipitation.

You are manipulating by numbers: The state's largest reservoir is at 126% (average), second at 117%. Maximum capacity almost never really possible.

Wow, more dams are not the answer. They have destroyed our anadromous fisheries by destroying spawning habitat and blocking fish on their spawning runs.

I think you are misinterpreting the "average" it' means for this time of year the historic average of the lakes.

Honestly if you think building more dams is the answer i don't even know why I'm replying to you.

Build 'em in SoCal Wink

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm
EgoNonBaptizo

Tifoso wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:

Build 'em in SoCal Wink

No please don't. The LA river is nasty as is. IF something happens to a reservoir in SoCal, things could get ugly really quickly. Flooding and runoff with just regular rain is bad enough as it is. Damming any river comes with a risk in this state, especially in the South, as the (relatively) high chance for a serious earthquake means that dams can break, releasing a torrent of clean or not so clean FRESHWATER into the ocean. Imagine that 2016 sewage spill, but crank it up to 11. RIP all of our bay fisheries and surf fishing should that happen.

For the record I honestly don't know what to do with our water problems. IMO this is all because our state is too damn nice. Too many people live here, and it puts a serious drain on the natural resources. Then again, it's not like the majority of Southern California would be affected by the complete and utter loss of the coastal ecosystem. They would be just fine with their veggie burgers and organic "paleo" diets.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:04 pm
Tifoso

EgoNonBaptizo wrote:
Tifoso wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:
bigunindaboat wrote:
ING wrote:

Build 'em in SoCal Wink

No please don't. The LA river is nasty as is. IF something happens to a reservoir in SoCal, things could get ugly really quickly. Flooding and runoff with just regular rain is bad enough as it is. Damming any river comes with a risk in this state, especially in the South, as the (relatively) high chance for a serious earthquake means that dams can break, releasing a torrent of clean or not so clean FRESHWATER into the ocean. Imagine that 2016 sewage spill, but crank it up to 11. RIP all of our bay fisheries and surf fishing should that happen.

For the record I honestly don't know what to do with our water problems. IMO this is all because our state is too damn nice. Too many people live here, and it puts a serious drain on the natural resources. Then again, it's not like the majority of Southern California would be affected by the complete and utter loss of the coastal ecosystem. They would be just fine with their veggie burgers and organic "paleo" diets.

OK, then don't build 'em down there, but stop taking NorCal water. Wink

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 2 of 3  Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: