pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> New England Fishcakes [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:27 pm
frozendog

I lost the pictures on the old post and have changed the recipe a little, so here is the latest version.

These are the fishcakes made with potato and fish. A memory from the two years I spent in New England.
First, a bit of history. In the Boston area, there are a lot of Catholics. So, fish on Friday night. Traditionally, the left over fish would be used for fishcakes for Saturday or Sunday breakfast or dinner. For people who observed the sabbath with no work, these fishcakes with leftovers could be warmed up quickly. A made-ahead meal in the day when there weren't any tv dinners. Same was true with the Boston baked beans made ahead. On to the recipe.

You need a 50/50 mixture of raw potato and fish. Really doesn't matter if you have a little more of one or the other. It will just taste a little more fishy or potatoey. This recipe makes you a better fisherman because it stretches your fish to feed more people. Two fillets plus the potatos would be the same as four fillets.
I started by peeling two Yukon gold potatos (russet or red will work just as well), then cut them into chunks.

I cook them in canned chicken broth. I fill the pot about half way with the broth so that the broth evaporates down and when the potatoes are done there is just a little broth in the pan. Then I use a fork to squish up the potatoes - not like mashed potatoes. I want texture.

Then I added some parsley, a couple pats of butter and just enough of the broth in the potato pan to moisten the potatoes.

Now on to the fish. I used rockfish fillets but cab or ling work just fine.
I cut my fillets up into small pieces, salt and peppered and then dipped in egg and rolled in Italian bread crumbs. I sauteed them in a little oil.

Saute to a nice light color. Never overcook your fish. Remove the fish from the pan. Let the fish and the potatoes cool a little bit.

Mash the fish with a fork. Add the rest of the egg used for dipping, a couple of tbs of mayo and then add in 2 or 3 sliced green onions.

Season well with salt, pepper, a little Old Bay seasoning, a little thyme, You season with what you like. You could also throw in some other chopped vegs you have laying around, like zucchini, red bell pepper, etc. There should be no white showing - everything should be mixed all the way through. You don't want your fishcakes too wet - not like whipped potatoes. If your mixture is too wet, add some breadcrumbs. Now you should have a mixture that kind of looks like this.

Into the fridge for at least an hour to chill - over night would be better. The fishcakes come out a lot better when you chill the mixture first. They stay together better when you cook them.

So, at dinner time, you are ready to cook.
Make palm size patties and roll them in panko. Don't make more than 3 or 4 per pan for easy turning. You can make a couple of batches. Everything is precooked, so all you have to do is heat through and brown. I shallow fried them in a little oil with a pat of butter.

I served it with rice and fruit. A big salad or those Boston baked beans would be good too. I sometimes like a sauce on the fishcakes. Bottled sweet chili sauce goes well. Mrs. Kittyfish likes Ranch dressing. Use whatever you like.

I usually use two fillets and two potatoes. This makes enough mixture for one dinner for four or a dinner and a big lunch for two.

This is a dish for people who say they don't like fish. It doesn't taste like fish - very mild. This is also a way to use up your fish if it is about to go bad and you don't want to freeze it. You can fry up the fish and make the rest of the cakes the next day. I like to make this up the day before I go fishing to use up the last of my fish and also to have something ready to cook after a day on the rocks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:18 pm
Tifoso

Wow! Looks absolutely fantastic. Thanks!

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:51 am
sea_forager

Those are some tasty looking fishcakes! This recipe will come in handy when my nephew visits next.
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: