pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> You are going out on your first ever surf fishing trip.... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:47 pm
Tifoso

Let's say it was your first ever surf fishing trip.

1. Professional guides (names, please)?

2. Equipment? (are there rental places?)

3. Since it is your first time, you would target...

4. Baits;lures?

5. Clubs willing to guide/teach newbies? (Newbies having taken a solemn oath never to fish without the teacher(s) in the his/their spot(s). Seriously.)

6. Anything else that you could think of?

Thanks! Smile

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:14 pm
Trumbo

I'd prolly soak pile worms and ghost/grass on a high low rig. Maybe one of the big ... frozen sardines on a Carolina rig if I brought enough beer
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:48 pm
simplycook

1. There's very few guides, if any at all, that specialize in surf fishing. You'll have better luck asking someone who knows the area you plan on going and asking if you could shadow them for the day.

2. Again, not many rental places that rent surf fishing gear out. If they do rent, then it's mostly boat/deep fishing gear. I remember down in SoCal, there were some rental places but they were usually located on piers and catered to pier fishing. Places like Pismo Beach Pier.

3. Surf Perch or jack smelt. Likely the easiest species to catch from the surf. Otherwise, its possible to target dungeness/rock crab, stripers, rockfish, and lingcod from shore.

4. Most grubs (Kalins, Berkley) will get you perch and jack smelt. For larger game fish, then poppers, crank baits, and swimbaits will work. As for bait, anchovies, smelt, shrimp, squid, mussels, clams, or just about anything will work.

5. There's no "clubs" per se. Some small groups and/or individuals. Best to ask in PM messaging and follow specific reports.

6. Start getting used to looking at tide charts, reading NOAA depth charts, and learning to read the surf for underwater structure. If you don't have luck finding anyone to teach/show you how to fish in the surf, then having at least 1 of the 3 skills listed above will greatly improve your chances in fishing.

Best of luck.

Tifoso wrote:
Let's say it was your first ever surf fishing trip.

1. Professional guides (names, please)?

2. Equipment? (are there rental places?)

3. Since it is your first time, you would target...

4. Baits;lures?

5. Clubs willing to guide/teach newbies? (Newbies having taken a solemn oath never to fish without the teacher(s) in the his/their spot(s). Seriously.)

6. Anything else that you could think of?

Thanks! Smile
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:43 pm
red fish

Plenty of information on surf-fishing:

http://www.stripersonline.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:33 am
pinfish

i'm going out sometime this month, up here in SF Bay. weekend mornings. whoever wants to do a meetup i'm in
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:00 am
Tifoso

Thanks for the replies!

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am
Ken Jones

There are also "literally" hundreds if not thousands of posts on surf fishing in our archives. The problem is narrowing down the search field, i.e., SoCal vs. CenCal. surfperch versus croaker, etc.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:20 pm
Fusion

In norcal (Humboldt bay) i always used market prawns with skin on and not devained. On a hi lo rig. If there were sand crabs around i'll use them with prawns. I'll peel of the shell from the prawns. For the sand crabs. I would peel off a section of the lower back to expose more scent. I then hooke the head and under the belly( over and under).Some time i would tie a grub to my sinker. Once i catch a surf perch and i know it's properly hooked. I slowly reel it in. In hopes that another perch will
bite the grub. 10+ years ago i fished commercially from shore. I caught a ton of perch. They'll bite then move on. Figure out where and when they feed. Follow them. Good luck.

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: