pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> To bigguns [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:29 pm
Fusion

The pm is down. I''m trying to gear up for next year hunting. I bought a wheatherby Vangaurd, ,270. It came with a weaver scope. 3x9x40. Is this good enough for the recoil. Any input from any one is gladly appreciated. I looked up reviews n it's yes/no. I wanted to put my Leupold scope on it but it's a different size so won't fit. I'm planning to hunt the Mendocino national forest. My dads in his late 70's. I want to spened time with him before it's to late. We'll probably do a few scouting trips before the season. Thanks in advance.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:59 am
bigunindaboat

3x9 is plenty of scope. In CA most of your shots at deer will be under 100 yards. A weaver scope should be shock proof. .270 is a great round. Good luck! Hunt into the wind, move slow, when you think you are moving too slow, go 1/2 that speed. Always hunt the break in the weather after a storm.
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:57 am
Fusion

Thanks bro. I'll probably do a few scouting trips before the season. I've never been to the Mendocino national forest. I'll get my deer,bear and pig tags. My neighbors and I shot a few rounds on new years eve. My dumb ... didn't put plugs in my ear. My ears are still ringing, lol.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 am
bigunindaboat

Fusion wrote:
Thanks bro. I'll probably do a few scouting trips before the season. I've never been to the Mendocino national forest. I'll get my deer,bear and pig tags. My neighbors and I shot a few rounds on new years eve. My dumb ... didn't put plugs in my ear. My ears are still ringing, lol.

Yea if you are target shooting always wear plugs. When hunting I do not, and not once when shooting at a big game animal have I heard my own shot....it's weird I know, but you'll see.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 am
Tifoso

bigunindaboat wrote:
Fusion wrote:

Yea if you are target shooting always wear plugs. When hunting I do not, and not once when shooting at a big game animal have I heard my own shot....it's weird I know, but you'll see.

Big Un! Well met, fratello. Smile

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:05 am
Fusion

Bigs i have another question for you. When i first bought my Leopold scope. My budy used his laser to sight the scope. I just bought a new laser sight. It's on a Marlin 30.30. It's still off by 2.5-3" at 30-40 yards. I zeriod it but still off. Should i just send it in. I really like this scope n it wasn't cheap. My stupid friend torqued it so bad. This was years ago. My first rifle and i missed a nice buck. 4 points on each side. I tried to compensate but didn't happen. I know i hit it. I waited 20 minutes n started tracking it. I could tell by it's foot prints that it was staggering. There was alot of fallen logs/branches. I try to track if for 3 hours. I couldn't find it. Poor bucky, he could have been dinner.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:23 pm
seabass_seeker

That's the rifle I should've bought. Instead I went with its brother the Howa 1500 in .308 (same action, different stock and barrel). I say should've because in all aspects you have the superior rifle for accurate medium long range shooting. It's really a dandy rifle and if you ever wanted to buy a wood stock they sell the deluxe stocks which make it look like a $1000 dollar rifle.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:50 pm
bigunindaboat

Fusion wrote:
Bigs i have another question for you. When i first bought my Leopold scope. My budy used his laser to sight the scope. I just bought a new laser sight. It's on a Marlin 30.30. It's still off by 2.5-3" at 30-40 yards. I zeriod it but still off. Should i just send it in. I really like this scope n it wasn't cheap. My stupid friend torqued it so bad. This was years ago. My first rifle and i missed a nice buck. 4 points on each side. I tried to compensate but didn't happen. I know i hit it. I waited 20 minutes n started tracking it. I could tell by it's foot prints that it was staggering. There was alot of fallen logs/branches. I try to track if for 3 hours. I couldn't find it. Poor bucky, he could have been dinner.

What do you mean by "laser sight" like a laser boresighter? Or an actual laser scope.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:04 am
Fusion

bigunindaboat wrote:
Fusion wrote:

What do you mean by "laser sight" like a laser boresighter? Or an actual laser scope.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:05 am
Fusion

My bad, i mean a laser boresight.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:22 am
bigunindaboat

Ok a laser boresighter will only get you on paper at 100 yards. From there you need a solid rest, some ammo that you plan on hunting with (you might as well just start using barnes copper bullets or nosler copper bullets now) and lock that rifle down and shoot until you can get her dialed in. make sure you let the barrel cool after a group, a hot barrel will ruin accuracy.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 pm
Fusion

Thanks Bigs. There is an out door range near by. People tell me to go early. Later in the day there's crazy meth heads with guns. Not a good combo. What about my leupold, should i send it in to get fix. I can't do anything at the moment. My daughters got the flu/cold. I haven't slept well in two nights. You have kids you know what i mean. I appreciate your feed back.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:54 pm
bigunindaboat

Why do you think the scope is damaged? If you feel it's damaged then I'd send it back soon, so you can have it dialed in for fall.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:33 pm
Fusion

I forgot where i ordered it from. I'll just google it up. I think Leuoplold has a life time
warranty. What brand is your bow and the draw strength. I wanted to get into archery. I have a used pse i'm practicing with. It'ls only 40lb draw. I don't even know how to sight it. I wanted to get used to it before dishing out alot of cash for a new one. What brand would u recommend for under 1k complete.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:30 pm
bigunindaboat

Fusion wrote:
I forgot where i ordered it from. I'll just google it up. I think Leuoplold has a life time
warranty. What brand is your bow and the draw strength. I wanted to get into archery. I have a used pse i'm practicing with. It'ls only 40lb draw. I don't even know how to sight it. I wanted to get used to it before dishing out alot of cash for a new one. What brand would u recommend for under 1k complete.

I shoot a Diamond/Bowtech Kronic XT I shoot and hunt at 60.

I had a PSE but I did not like the way it felt and love the bowtech.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: