pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Tune-A-Fish??? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:14 pm
muttfishr

Hey Guys, hows things? I took my son to San-Pedro for his birthday trip on the freedom out to the "tanner" bank(?) for some BlueFin tuna fishing! 80 to 100lb fish using live squid, if your "rich" get a twospeed reel, either way make sure you're using fresh heavy line and have plenty of it. 65/80 lb braid with a 25yrd Mono topshot of 50/60lb with a 4 or 5 foot floro leader is what was the ticket, also 1/2 to 2 oz egg sinkers, (the glow-inthe-dark kind) were getting bit the best. I was almost totally unprepared, didn't really have a clue, (it ain't albicore fishing!) These fish are MEAN! You better have your (A) game on! Don't expect to buy your terminal tackle at the landing unless you have a fat wallet, I bought 3paks of hooks (15) and 25yrds of 50lb florocarbon for 60$ The "boat" hooked 18 and landed 14 out of the 36 anglers on board. I did hook one but almost instantly lost it so I didn't even count, I did hook and reel in the largest shark I've ever caught, a 10 or 12 footer, brought it to gaff then locked the reel down and snapped it off, don't like to bring sharks on-board for several reasons. Well thats about it, can't wait to go again at the end of dec. hopefully the tuna will still be around...mutt.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:53 pm
spicytuna

That's awesome. It's been a memorable bluefin season. On one of my trips I caught limits for two, all on 30#. They won't bite any heaver line for me. =(
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:38 pm
makairaa

And the season just keeps on going. Weather permitting I get to go on saturday for the bluefin.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am
Sofa King

I went in August on the Sea Adventure II and got one as well. Wish I could do a 5 day. A 2 speed reel really makes all the difference.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:00 am
spicytuna

Fish #1! Nicely done. I dunno about their gaff skills though.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm
makairaa

Sofa King wrote:
I went in August on the Sea Adventure II and got one as well. Wish I could do a 5 day. A 2 speed reel really makes all the difference.

Nice fish, I have gotten 6 this year with 5 between 60 and 80 lbs. Still looking for my first 100+ though.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:28 am
Sofa King

makairaa wrote:
Sofa King wrote:

Nice fish, I have gotten 6 this year with 5 between 60 and 80 lbs. Still looking for my first 100+ though.

I can't hardly wait to go again.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:43 am
CatchinKelp

Way to go mutt (and SK)! Thanks for report!

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: