pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Newport Harbor [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 am
Socalman

Going to take the daughter's bf out for his first fishing from a boat. We will head out to Newport Harbor. It would be great to get one, perhaps two keeper halibut. I know at one time near the PCH bridge was a decent spot. Any other good places to find the flatties?

If we are unable to score, or run out of live bait, what suggestions do you have for enticing them to our line?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:18 am
CatchinKelp

Remember to bring a light tackle set-up and small-hook sabiki to jig up more live bait if you happen to run out. (Sorry, Captain Obvious makin an appearance).

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:10 pm
makairaa

I would try drifting the turning basin there by the pch bridge or out by the bait barge. Just a reminder if you are not aware it is illegal to fish from a boat inland of the pch bridge.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:28 pm
calaznfisher

makairaa wrote:
I would try drifting the turning basin there by the pch bridge or out by the bait barge. Just a reminder if you are not aware it is illegal to fish from a boat inland of the pch bridge.

+1 although if you have your own boat, I would head out of the harbor and drift shale beds on the HB flats if you really want a shot at those bigger halis.

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:19 am
Socalman

makairaa wrote:

Thanks,it has been several years since fishing in the harbor and I did not know you could not fish inland of the PCH bridge.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:30 am
makairaa

Socalman wrote:
makairaa wrote:

Thanks,it has been several years since fishing in the harbor and I did not know you could not fish inland of the PCH bridge.

Welcome to the days of the MPA. The sad thing is they left that area open to shore fisherman that keep far more than the boat guys did.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:34 am
spicytuna

I like to use fingerling jacksmlet in Newport Bay
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: