pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Fully Enclosed Spinning Reels? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:58 am
The Orion

Hey guys! This board may not be the best to ask this question but I'll ask anyway. May I have a recommendation for a good fully encased spinning reel? Ive been here on Diego Garcia for about 3 months now and I have found my favorite way to fish trevally is to wade out in low tide to about thigh-deep and surf cast large poppers and metals. In these 3 months, Ive already gone through 3 really good quality reels due to saltwater and corrosion. The main problem is that while I am wading, I am getting hit by the occasional wave so a lot of times my reels get fully submerged in the saltwater. I rinse my reels every time Im done fishing but DG has eaten them up. Do you have a recommendation for a reel that I can fully submerge in saltwater and not have this problem? I understand these kinds of reels are not cheep but losing a 100 dollar reel per month isn't cheap either. I would like to pair this reel with a 7ft rod for casting 1.5-3oz lures on 30-50 braid.

Thank you for your help!

Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:09 am
KCKen

Two words: VAN STAAL
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:26 am
Trumbo

Zeebaas
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:35 am
jcool

guys on the east coast fishing for striped bass packed the entire housing of their spinning reels with marine wheel bearing grease. Check out stripersonline.com
forum for more specific info.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:48 am
FishingRonin

KCKen wrote:

Yep, or a zeebass or whatever. I'm not aware of those fully enclosed reels being made for anything except for kiddie fishing combos. Time to graduate and get yourself an adult reel dude...enclosed spinning reel....LOL LOL LOL LOL.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:26 pm
tackleholic

Wish i had your problem... I think i'd just get a couple or a few decent reels and pack them completely w. Grease as previously suggested...then periodically go through one when one gets dunked. Rinse it thoroughly in fresh water...then open it up and let it air dry a few days on towel in a box or something. Use your spares in between while that one dries and just rotate. I think we've all been on trips where our reels have gotten completely drenched when its rough when traveling or a careless deckhand hoses down the side deck and everyones gear...ive always dismantled, rinsed, dried, and sometimes relubed my reels at the first possible chance after those cases and havent had a reel go completely bad yet. Its when you know you have saltwater intrusion and you just let it sit in there to,corrode. Another thing you might do is pop off the seals on your bearings and leave them open as Alan Tani suggests in a lot of his reel tutorials...that way if you have saltwater intrusion into your bearings the seals won't hold the saltwater inside to corrode when you rinse in fresh.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:44 pm
Trumbo

If you can find an older VS for s decent price. The new ones are made in China. I won't pay that kind of money.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:59 pm
rambeezi

May I ask what reels you have been using? Most of my fishing (90%) is on the surf between Monterey and SF. Currently using a new Penn Battle II spinning but previously was using cheap 3 or 5 bearing Daiwa Regal reels. As previously mentioned the first thing I did was take it apart and packed it in with grease (I use red bearing grease because I am too cheap) and it has worked flawlessly with occasional maintenance (twice a year).

I only recently bought the Penn for my new surf rod but my Daiwas still get a lot of action in the surf.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:53 pm
SLOFishing

If you can get a Van Stall that would be the way to go
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:15 pm
Trumbo

ZB is a newer superior reel designed by the same guy as VS and made in America.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:10 pm
red fish

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/saltwater-reel-protection
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:54 am
jcool

FishingRonin wrote:
KCKen wrote:

Yep, or a zeebass or whatever. I'm not aware of those fully enclosed reels being made for anything except for kiddie fishing combos. Time to graduate and get yourself an adult reel dude...enclosed spinning reel....LOL LOL LOL LOL.

I think he meant watertight
some of the newer reels Daiwa (magseal) and
Shimanos are sealed, but are $$$$
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:44 am
porkchopXpress

I believe the Shimano SW Spheros and SW Saragosa are both fully sealed. I think in the $150-200 price range. I would check out Alan Hawk. His website is awesome. The guy does incredibly detailed reviews of saltwater spinning reels. Check him out
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:23 am
The Orion

Thank you for all the great input, you guys are freaked awsome! I'll do my own research into your guys' suggestions. I had gone through a Penn Battle II, 6000 and Penn (like the battle 2 except red?) 6500 and also an Okuma of similar size. And excuse me for my technically incorrect term for waht I was referring to, what what you guys are for! Pretty steep price on those ZB's and VS's. If my promotion and back pay are as nice as I like, I might consider it but tours to DG are only 1 year. Then again, it's not like I'm not going to go fishing wherever else the Navy sends me. Thanks again everyone.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:23 pm
red fish

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_QfQu1N8Ug
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPk3v8ndTQ

704z or 706z bail-less and packed fully with grease to thwart saltwater intrusion. Reissue of the old-school 704 and 706. Old-school feel and noise, but a better workhorse for something as specific as surf-dunking.

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: