pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Bye bye Harden. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:40 am
eelmaster

Well, it looks like the cubs have Rich Harden now. I can't say that I'm disappointed. He's just a bit too fragile. That said, I always hoped that Oakland, being the progressive pitching team that they are, would have dropped Street and put Harden in the closing spot. I know it sounds odd, but seriously, I think he would make a GREAT closer. He's a dominating 1-2-3 pitcher that's prone to injury. The closing spot seems like aperfect fit for him. Instead, he's going to be a fragile ace in chicago where he will now have to swing a bat.
Any thoughts?

Glen, I remember a couple years ago, on BP, you told me that Oakland should get rid of him while they can. Well, your team has him now. Happy or sad?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:22 am

with their recent history with both prior and wood, i'm thinking cubs fans are holding their breath on this one. but hell, kerry wood is an all star coming from the pen, so you could have been right, but we'll never know now. which is why it's hard to be an a's fan. i'm not doubting billy beane at all, because he definitely puts out competitive teams year in and year out, but by the time a fan base grows with a prospect, he ships them out for more prospects. so for a lot of us fans, we continually lose that familiarity. at least with the giants, we trade prospects before they develop -- joe nathan immediately comes to mind -- and we pick up has-beens or retreads.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:34 am
bassmanben

My thoughts are this: the A's knew that the Cubs were desperate for starting pitching, so they should have fleeced them for everything they had.

The A's had a club option on Harden for 2009, so it was not like he was going to leave this offseason for nothing. I thought Gaudin was a decent player as well, definitely a major leaguer.

1. Sean Gallagher- OK pitcher, but I don't think he has the potential to ever be a #1 starter. Maybe a #3
2. Eric Patterson - I like this kid, but I don't see him as a 2B. His defense is shaky, and we have a solid 2B in Marky Mark, who I think the A's can lock up long term for a good price. I see Patterson eventually being a CF due to his speed.
3. Matt Murton - Another "OK" player. Not much power, does walk and is patient. But I'm tired of those type of hitters. The A's needed someone to swing the bat.
4. Josh Donaldson - The court is out on this one.

What really gets me is how the A's could not get Josh Vitters included in the deal.

With continuing injuries to Chavez, and his contract coming up in a couple years, they should have got the young 3B in this deal. I would have thought it to be reasonable if we gave up Harden for Gallagher, Patterson/Murton, & Vitters. That would have made me somewhat content. I knew Harden had to go eventually, as much as I liked him. I would really like to see the A's get rid of Blanton and possibly Street.

We need some better hitters in the minors! Someone who will actually swing the gosh durned bat with runners in scoring position.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: