pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Red Curried Fish with Coconut Milk [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:16 pm
frozendog

I am proud of this dish because I have never eaten or ordered fish curry in the past other than some curried noodles. I had the idea in my head and finally went to the stove and this is what I came up with. Works good with big pieces of fish - ling, rockfish or cab.

Actually itís ďpinkĒ curry because my wife has a very low tolerance for spices. So you may want to use enough curry for your own taste.

Also, curry is like meatloaf - thereís lots of different ways to prepare it. Everyone has there own way and this is my way for curried fish.

Step 1: We like yams in our curry. So I peel and slice a yam into bite-sized pieces and par-boil it in a small sauce pan with a touch of salt and sugar for about five minutes.

Step 2: I was using chunks of ling cod that I seasoned with salt, pepper and a little Emerilís seasoning. Also I found a few shrimp in the freezer that I defrosted and cleaned. And seasoned them the same way.

Step 3: Cut up the vegetables you like in your curry. I used green onion, asparagus, baby bokchoy, zuccinni, red bell pepper, shitake mushrooms, shallots and green pea pods. I cut them into bite-sized pieces.

Step 4: Time to start on the curry. If you are using regular coconut milk, you can use some of the thick milk on top of the can in your frying pan and cook your curry paste out in the milk which will separate and produce oil. I used light coconut milk which doesnít have the thick stuff, so I had to use a little oil to cook out the curry. This takes about 5 minutes.

Step 5: Add some chopped garlic into your curry pan and then some shallots. Saute a little with the curry and then add 1/2 a can of the coconut milk. Stir it well and let it cook a bit. Then add the rest of the coconut milk and stir well. Now itís time to add some seasoning. I added fish sauce (to your taste), a tbsp of brown sugar, and some grated ginger. Let this simmer and then taste. Adjust your seasoning if necessary.

Step 6: Add the veggies. Let it all cook on medium heat together for a few minutes.

Step 7: Add the fish and the shrimp. Make sure they are submerged in the sauce. Simmer about four or five minutes. Donít overcook the fish.

Step 8: We like a lot of sauce because I serve the curried fish and vegs over a bowl of rice and I make enough for two meals. So I add a little chicken broth or a little almond milk to make more sauce if needed. If you have left overs, gently reheat them so you donít dry out the fish.

ENJOY!

As Mr. Kilgore Trout has stated, this is an excellent camping dish. Two pots - one for the rice and one for the curry and paper plates.

Anybody else have a curry dish to share?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:43 am
FireRidge

this sounds AMAZING!!!
ive got a grassie and a china in the freezer and they are going to be dinner tonight!!
thank you for sharing
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:04 pm
Tifoso

frozendog wrote:
I am proud of this dish because I have never eaten or ordered fish curry in the past other than some curried noodles. I had the idea in my head and finally went to the stove and this is what I came up with. Works good with big pieces of fish - ling, rockfish or cab.

ENJOY!

As Mr. Kilgore Trout has stated, this is an excellent camping dish. Two pots - one for the rice and one for the curry and paper plates.

Anybody else have a curry dish to share?

Holy cow! Outstanding!

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:17 pm
Fishmom1

frozendog, what kind of curry paste do you use?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:28 pm
frozendog

Fishmom1 wrote:
frozendog, what kind of curry paste do you use?

I used "Thai Kitchen" red curry paste. It comes in a little bottle. Not because it's the best, but it is the only one available in this small town - no Asian market. But since I have been using it, I will keep on because I know how much to use for the spiciness I like. I also add a little Emeril's Essence to get a little more spice but not heat. What kind do you use?

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: