pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> XTides: Tutorial of Graphical Tidal Predictions [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:28 am
baitchucker

Sorry, my bad... pic did show - Doh!

Mods - delete at will. I'll re-post when I figure out the pic issue.

Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:52 am
baitchucker

Dang it, tried it again and failed...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:39 am
baitchucker

Cool - Third time's a charm!

IRPescador posted a topic on the mainboard a few days ago concerning "Sturgeon Tides":

Quote:
I'm still learning my tides ups and downs...will this sample of an outgoing tide will be desirable for Sturgeon fishing?

05:17 PM PST 4.30 feet High Tide
12:04 AM PST -0.03 feet Low Tide

Thanks for the input
Very Happy

I thought of replying to it, but the topic of "Fishing the Tides" & "Tidal Movement and the Effects on Fishing", is more generalized than just fishing for sturgeon.

Understanding how tides effect our fishing success is really more about how tides effects the fish we are attempting to catch. I can't claim to know the how's & why's Sturgeon react to certain tides, but understanding the tools that can predict the "better" tides puts me a little closer to effectively fishing during productive dates & times.

XTides by David Flater is the prediction tool that I use often in the pursuit of a variety of fish. Sure, there's a bunch apps and websites out there that'll give you tide information, but to give me a graphical representation that helps me pick better fishing dates & times... Tbone-XTides increases my odds in hooking into the right stuff; regardless of species.

Image 1

The host that I've used to access this incredible program is from the University of South Carolina, Biological Sciences (Item #1)
(http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/index.html?nomobile=1)

There is a mobile device link, as well as a interactive map (Item #2). I've used both. The mobile device link is rock solid & so much easier to navigate from a smartphone. But, you loose the ability to make graphical predictions. The interactive map is a pain to use on a smartphone. Maybe with a regular monitor, tablet, or over-size android, it would be useful. But certainly not on an iPhone sized smartphone.

Honestly, the original interface is my favorite. The functionality is full of crazy goodness!

I digress.

Image 2

From the main page, scroll down to a "Select A Region" & pick "U.S. West (North to South)". Caution: California sites are WAY down there! Do yourself a favor and find all your favorite sites and bookmark them... Especially if you are using a smartphone.

Image 3

Find the site that is closes to your honey hole. Hopefully, your pick has both Tide & Current sites. If not (and for the tutorial), pick a site that has both Tide & Current. Select the "Tide" site leaving the "Current" site for later. Let XTides complete the default prediction.

Image 4

It's kinda cool to see your site with a whole bunch of data associated with it. But, I like visual aids. So for the tutorial, begin picking the options below the tide info to draw that pretty picture.

Image 5

Under Display Type, start by selecting the radial button for "Graphic Plot". Then select the graph size that best suites your monitor. My favorite setting is 1280 by 640. If your are using a smartphone, hold your phone in landscape mode & be prepared to "pinch & expand" you screen view. Leave the rest of the options as default.

Image 6

When deciding a date to fish, select "1 Week" as a Presentation Option . Leave the rest of the options as default under this category.

Change the Start Date of the graph so that the day that you think you want to fish is dead center of the week. For this tutorial, I was thinking the 18th would be the most optimal day of the week for our schedule. So, set the date for the 14th. Keep the date and timestamp set for midnight. When looking at a day-to-day prediction for a whole week, it just makes the prediction easier to comprehend.

Image 7

Leave the remaining options as default, then select the "Make Prediction with Options" button at the bottom of the page.

Image 8

Yay! - We have a week long, graphical representation of the tides of our favorite spot! But look at the tides when we wanted to fish (18th) versus the start date that we selected. We're actually loosing the better tides (14th through 17th) on the date that worked best for us.

For this tutorial, our schedule is tough prior to the 18th. So, scroll down to the Start Date options & select the 17th hoping to fish on the 21st.

Image 9

There we go.... Look at the tides starting the 21st... The tides are starting to build (getting bigger)!

To get a really good graphical representation of the day you want to tangle with the fish, scroll down to the Presentation options and change and change the "1 Week" option to "3 Days". Change the Start Date to a day before you wish to fish (the 20th).

Image 10

A pic is worth a thousand words! You can get a lot of details from the graph that's easier to understand.

But that's not the kicker.

Image 11

Remember that I stated earlier to hold off in selecting the site based on "Current"? Go ahead and select that "Current" site and change your options to a "3 day" view, putting your date to fish in the center of the 3 days. Click on that "Make Predictions" button.

Image 12

Using the graphic of the tides as a mental reference (Major/Minor & Hi/Lo Tides and the differences) and add the prediction of tidal movement (Start,End and Max)... Now, your getting the whole picture!

You see, one of my favorite species of fish to catch (sturgeon) really doesn't care how "High" or "low" the tide gets. Based on where I like to fish, these fish seem to be more "catchable" when the tides are just "moving". Exactly what part of the tides do they hit best (Top or bottom of the tides - Before, during, or after the Max Current - During Ebb or Flood - etc...), that's completely subjectable and for you to determine. Basically, the only times that my catch rate is completely void of sturgeon is during the slack. One thing is for sure, you stack the odds in your favor when you pick dates and times with lots of water movement over a long periods(big tides).

Anyway, understanding how tidal movement effects the behavior of the fish that you want to catch is probably just as important than other true-ism. Even the "slower" and/or "shorter" tides can produce fish if you are willing to learn how those fish react to it.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:22 am
Mahigeer

Thanks for your effort to post this.

I buy a booklet from the tackle stores made by Tidelines. It has the graph of the tides for our region.
http://www.tidelines.com/

Some tackle shops down here also give out a small booklet free as promotion, but it only has numbers.

The one I use is easier to follow.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:41 am
IRPescador

Thanks for putting that tutorial together.
I also use that tide forecast site, but never used it together with the currents. I learned something new today...thank you man!

Cheers!

Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:30 pm
slowriprun

Right on for taking the time to post all that up. My 2 cents: those are the kinds of pieces to the puzzle that when patiently and carefully considered will change a player's game. Yea; it's work, but, more often than not, it's the kinda stuff that the 10% do, and as a result, they get the 90%.
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: