pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
>> Thresher-Sharks [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:45 am
Jigmaster39

The near shore waters off the Southern California coast are a well-known hot spot for the common thresher shark, a recreational fishing favorite with a uniquely long whip-like tail that can weigh more than 500 pounds. Its tail, in fact, is exactly why the thresher is now in the center of an ethical fishing dilemma, and the reason why anglers and scientists are working together to change the way they are caught.

Note: they can weigh up to 500lbs. Now thatís a mature T-Shark, any that a person can lift and hold is a baby. Anyone that constanly catches and kills baby T-Sharks is helping to delete the species.

Common thresher sharks, like many shark species, are especially vulnerable to overfishing because they live a long time, take many years to mature, and only have a few young at a time. Recovery from overharvest can take years or decades. Sharks require special attention Ė NOAA Fisheries is conducting research, implementing restrictions and working with fishermen domestically, and pursuing conservation of shark species worldwide to ensure that healthy shark populations stay healthy and that overfished populations recover.

Not to be confused with pelagic and bigeye thresher sharks, common thresher sharks are one of the most commonly harvested sharks off the U.S. West Coast.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 am
bigunindaboat

You posting this after you attacked another member (who ironically has the same ideals as you when it comes to T sharks) is nothing more then a troll post.

Grow up, let it go. So you got in a argument on the interwebz, don't let it own space in your head.

Posting in a thread headed for deletion.

BUIDB
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 am
Ken Jones

I'll allow a debate if it remains civil. Merely attacking one another will see it quickly locked and/or deleted. Not sure if it will be an honest debate though given the recent squabbles.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:00 pm
bigunindaboat

Ken Jones wrote:
I'll allow a debate if it remains civil. Merely attacking one another will see it quickly locked and/or deleted. Not sure if it will be an honest debate though given the recent squabbles.

It's obvious it's not. Not to mention he marked his trolling as a report.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm
Baitchucker_

bigunindaboat wrote:

It's obvious it's not. Not to mention he marked his trolling as a report.

+1

I don't always agree with bigun, but he called this on the money. What kind of a "report" is the leading post? At best, it should be moved to "Fishery Conservation" & unchecked as a report.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:56 pm
CatchinKelp

I would like to do more t-sharkin this year. I am a rank amateur on the subject, but I will try. I have to look up how to sex them and what their sexual maturity is. I wouldn't feel right if I steaked one that hadn't had a couple years to breed.

"Let the waters roar, Jack"
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:12 am
Jigmaster39

bigunindaboat wrote:
You posting this after you attacked another member (who ironically has the same ideals as you when it comes to T sharks) is nothing more then a troll post.

Grow up, let it go. So you got in a argument on the interwebz, don't let it own space in your head.

Posting in a thread headed for deletion.

BUIDB

In the first place I never attacked anybody, the other fisherman claimed I was posting false posts. He may be your friend but you both need to mature a bit, probably got to much salt water in your ears.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 am
bigred805

CatchinKelp wrote:
I would like to do more t-sharkin this year. I am a rank amateur on the subject, but I will try. I have to look up how to sex them and what their sexual maturity is. I wouldn't feel right if I steaked one that hadn't had a couple years to breed.
chances of catching one from the pier that has had a couple years to breed is pretty small considering how long it takes them to reachsexual maturity and the larger sharks tend to stay in deeper water. I have been fishing for them for a couple years now without any luck but have seen people catch them around me and I have only seen pups coming over the rail. I know there is always a chance.to hook a monster but your far more likely to catch a small one. I personally wouldn't feel right keeping a pup but I have no.problems with someone keeping a shark for the dinner table as long as it was caught legally and not wasted. I'm more excited for the fight with Mr Tshark then to eat him. Even the babies go airborne when hooked makes for an awesome fight I'm sure!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:51 pm
Sin_Coast

Well, I missed the previous drama so I thought it was an interesting & potentially-helpful "report." Nothing I didn't already know, but it could help someone else make a more informed decision about their catch. But I slightly disagree with the comment below.
Jigmaster39 wrote:
Note: they can weigh up to 500lbs. Now thatís a mature T-Shark, any that a person can lift and hold is a baby.

Because I guess it also depends on how strong you are haha. Like, what if you're strong enough to deadlift a 200lb thresher? Hahaha

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishery Conservation, Management and Politics Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: