pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> New Surf Rod/Reel? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:22 pm
YoungAsianFisher

Hey guys been thinking of a new rod and reel. Currently have a 10' MH Daiwa Emblem capable of throwing 3-6oz. I've been wanting to be able to throw bucktails/poppers/lures for stripers, hali, and perch. Don't think I'll be getting much distance throwing lures that are lighter than what my rod is rated for would I?

Browsed at Dick's today and I saw Ugly Stik's new Elite Salmon/Steelhead Rod, specs are:

Rod Action & Length: MF 8'6"

Model: USESSP862M
Line Weight: 8-14 lbs.
Lure Weight: 3/8-3/4 oz.
Guides: 7
Rod Action & Length: MHMF 8'6"

Model: USESSP862MH
Line Weight: 10-20 lbs.
Lure Weight: 1/2-1 1/2 oz.
Guides: 7

Both are priced at $70. I already own an Ugly Stik Lite Salmon/Steelhead rod 8'6 MH, but one if the guide inserts popped out and the guide ring itself cracked. Should I just find someone to repair it?

As for a reel, I was looking into a Penn Battle II size 4000. Thinking of 30-40lb braid on it.

Would the Penn Battle paired with my Daiwa Emblem suffice to cast out 1.5oz bucktails, poppers, sp minnows? Or would I need a rod rated for lighter oz of weight?

Currently using the Emblem paired with an Okuma ABF50, spooled with 50lb braid, limited to some pier fishing and bait & wait on the surf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:55 pm
YoungAsianFisher

Updates: I bought a Penn Battle II 4000, spooled it with 30lb Daiwa J Braid at Hi's Tackle. Today one of the guide inserts on my Daiwa Emblem cracked and sent my SS Little Neck flying out into the Pacific ocean... Oh well, it wasn't really meant to be a plugging rod anyways.. Will get it repaired when I find time.

SO... I will be in stores for a new plug rod. Stuck between the following:

Tsunami Airwave Elite
9'6 Medium 3/4-3oz
$180

Daiwa Coastal SP
10' Medium 1-4oz
$160
9' Medium 1-4oz
$150

St. Croix Mojo
9' Medium (Mod 3/4-4oz) (Mod Fast 1-4oz)
$200
10' Medium 1-4oz
$220

Unless there are other suggestions of rods for throwing anything from 3/4 bucktails to 2 3/8 SS Little Necks..

Opinions guys?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:56 pm
FishingRonin

I have the st croix avid surf rods in red. I got the 10' M, and 12' H action rods if you are interested. Only used the a couple times. There are scratches where the pieces of the rods connect obviously. Let me know if interested.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: