pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Why are spinning reels used for crab snaring? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:57 pm
Crabsta

I'm bummed the crab season got put on hold but I have a question: why are spinning reals used for crab snaring over a bait caster? I moved here about a year ago from the midwest. I usually fish for Musky (Muskellunge) in Northern Wisconsin. For that, we usually cast from a boat using bait casters with fairly heavy action poles. For lighter fishing, we'd use small (compared to the ocean-sized) spinning reels.

Are bait casting reels used for surf fishing? Or is that typically spinning too?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:10 pm
Sofa King

I use spinning reels because of the ease of use, consistency in the cast and overall performance. I can hit the "marks" so to speak. You can try a conventional and have good results but when you birdsnest a power cast you BIRDSNEST a power cast.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:08 pm
red fish

One thing is you need to have a conventional with some torque and speed to pull over the breaking waves. Coventional reels can be used for crab snaring and surf fishing. A reel of 5:1 or so is going to bring your long cast back in in a timely matter. Also, since it is the surf, a long casting rod will get you over the waves. If you have a mag-caster or are comfortable with a regular conventional, you should be fine (other than head-on winds with the non-mag). The spinner is like a fool-proof mechanism for throwing the snares, but I'd say use what you have or are comfortable with.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 am
pinfish

there are brave people out there using conventionals for beach crab snaring. not me. hahaha

spinning reels are easier to use for bait fishing in the west coast surf. usually cheaper, usually beefier at their price point: meaning it can handle the fishing and the grime, salt, slime, sand, wind, tangles, thrown around in the back of the truck, etc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:15 pm
vin

i personally also use a spinning reel for snaring. easier to fling crab snare + 6oz to hold bottom with a spinning reel than with a baitcaster. but for everything else i use strictly bait casters. hope it helps.

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: