pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Penn Squall 15 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:34 pm
SLOFishing

Does anyone know if this would be a good reel for bat rays, leopard sharks, and shovel nose guitarfish, as well as rockfish? I would mainly be fishing on a boat, and/or piers. Thank you.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:57 am
Newb

Mine broke after a few trips still need to send it in for warranty. I would recommend buying an all metal reel.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:33 pm
red fish

Newb wrote:
Mine broke after a few trips still need to send it in for warranty. I would recommend buying an all metal reel.
Wow, that is amazing to hear something like that. I have a couple GS's that have caught many fish, never failed, and I am still fishing them in the mix in a rotation (especially from shore/rocks). I still use my old Newell 454-C that is 15 years old and a Squidder 140.
I changed the anti-reverse bearing once on my 525 and it along with my 555 are rock solid. My Penn GLS-25 (lever-drag) is 15 and rock-solid and I use that with 65# braid for sturgeon.

We don't have as many people rating new reels now (like we used to on this board like G-Dude, Sinker, Nufo, Scooter). And, I am subject to think many of the Penn reels made now aren't up to par with the old ones. I would like to hear more feedback on these reels as I don't own any Squalls, Phathoms, etc. I imagine the Penn 500 (that you can still buy) and the Senators are still reliable? We need more reviews. Stripers-online are always rating new gear with honest opinions.

Most guys are just buying an Avet and calling it a day these days (and they took years to build a reputation as they had some turkeys in the early days).

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: